KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   First attempt (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115717)

Caz 12-11-2013 10:31 PM

First attempt

Hi everyone,

So I have decided to learn to crochet and wanted to try making doilies. I bought a large (5mm) hook and some worsted weight thread to practice with, and did a few rows of each type of stitch until I was fairly comfortable with it.

I bought a hook set online, but I also have a 3mm and 3.5mm hook already, so while I'm waiting for my hooks in the post, I went out and bought some thread that I could practice with using the 3mm hook, and also got some #20 cotton that I plan on using when the hooks arrive.

I found a particular design I want to try, but I thought while I'm practicing I will use another design that I like, found here:

http://crochetartblog.blogspot.com.a...th-schema.html

Here is my attempt:

I only did the inner circle because I realised it was going to be ridiculously big with the thread and hook size I used. As it is, it's about a foot in diameter. My stitches became a lot neater and more consistent towards the end, and I'm happy that I did this practice one before I embark on a finer one. I also realised too late that I messed up a part when I completely skipped a 'point', which makes the whole thing a bit lopsided. I was so focused on getting the stitches themselves right that it was a case of not seeing the wood for the trees :teehee: But, it still turned out pretty good IMHO, and I look forward to my next one. Though I'm not sure if the #20 cotton is going to be fine enough after seeing how 'chunky' this thread turned out.

I've learnt a lot from doing this, but there's a lot more to learn, and I would certainly appreciate any advice or constructive criticism :)
Cheers

GrumpyGramma 12-11-2013 10:40 PM

I think that looks good! What thread/yarn did you use? I'll have to look up mm sizes, I think of crochet hooks in letter sizes. I never crocheted with thread myself, only yarn, mostly in worsted weight.

I made 7/8 of an afghan once. It was a pineapple motif and started with crocheting the points that went across one end, they were joined together when the main body of the afghan was started. I got the count wrong and didn't realize I was supposed to do a total of 8, not 7, until after the crocheted border was added. I'd been crocheting a while already. I felt really not so brilliant. Don't feel too bad about missing something, you can strive for closer to perfection with each project.

ETA: Your tension already looks consistent. The only tip I can think of is to figure out a way to keep track of where you are in your pattern and if you have to rip something back count it as a learning experience. That's what try to do with my knitting.

Caz 12-11-2013 10:48 PM

Hi GrumpyGramma,

The thread is Milford Soft 3-ply (4-ply equivalent) in soft lavender.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement :)

catlvr 12-12-2013 11:41 AM

I think it looks great for your first try! When I first started, I had a devil of a time with starting a round, but you seemed to get the hang of it right away. You go girl!!

salmonmac 12-13-2013 06:16 AM

It's beautifully done. By the time your set of hooks arrives, you'll be a pro. Gorgeous color too.

Caz 12-13-2013 07:56 AM

Thanks guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlvr (Post 1392366)
I think it looks great for your first try! When I first started, I had a devil of a time with starting a round, but you seemed to get the hang of it right away. You go girl!!

The diagrams were pretty intimidating at first. I actually wasn't sure I'd be able to follow it, but I started at the start and figured I'd ask for help when I got stuck, but once I got going with it, I realised it's actually not that hard to follow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1392411)
It's beautifully done. By the time your set of hooks arrives, you'll be a pro. Gorgeous color too.

Well, my hooks arrived and I've already made a good start on my 2nd doily (3rd if you count a failed attempt in between. I'm blaming the thread that I used on that one :teehee:). Don't know if I'm a pro yet, but the current one is turning out a bit nicer than the first one. :)

Ronda 12-14-2013 11:12 AM

It looks terrific! I'm actually jealous. I'm a knitter trying to learn to crochet, and my first attempts have not looked that good!

AngelAnya 01-01-2014 10:20 AM

wow it looks amazing! actually, more than amazing! :D i have been trying to crochet my mom is teaching me, so far i think i'm improving (yay) ^^ but nothing of mine looks THAT good!
PS; all my tries have been of scarves Barbie doll size.

AngelAnya 01-01-2014 10:21 AM

hey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlvr (Post 1392366)

it seems we both are on the same track!:teehee: my scarves (Barbie doll size) still look a bit "squashed together" and "crooked" :aww:

salmonmac 01-02-2014 06:30 AM

It may help to block the scarves so that Barbie can look stylish wearing them. Pin the scarf out to size to a surface (a towel will usually work), spray with water and let dry completely. This works wonderfully well with wool.