KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My Boring Scarf (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115957)

IslandTime 12-31-2013 08:09 PM

My Boring Scarf

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, thought I'd die of boredom before I finished it. I'd never knit a scarf before so i learned a couple of things, LOL.

It'll be handy though, and I actually think that stitch makes kind of a nice look for a scarf - but I'll know next time to either use giant needles and rope, or a variegated yarn or something to add some interest to the process :wall:

Now I'm on to start another one - this time in a bulky, variegated yarn and 9mm needles (YESSSSSS!) and a pattern very kindly given to me here on the forum a couple of days ago from Tabsheltie7 :) :)

A question - you'll see in my photo that one end of the scarf has a definite "bow" to it - that's my cast-on row - do you know what causes that?

I use the knit-on cast on, and my tension is generally pretty loose - in fact I'm thinking I should increase it a bit, and work on getting it more even overall. I'll try long-tail cast on this time anyway, because tabsheltie7 mentioned it was recommended for this pattern. Don't know why, being a scarf - but then, there's quite a few things I don't know...:???: I've also noticed on here that a lot of you like the long-tail co best for most of your work. And yes, I did block the scarf.

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone, and best wishes for 2014 to be a happy and healthy one for everybody at kh and their families :woot:

Jan in CA 12-31-2013 08:43 PM

Yeah, scarves can definitely be boring! It gets cold up there in the winter so you'll need it!

I've been up there and it's so pretty! A friend who lives there as well as other photographer friends stayed up the coast one year.

IslandTime 12-31-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1393894)
Yeah, scarves can definitely be boring! It gets cold up there in the winter so you'll need it!

I've been up there and it's so pretty! A friend who lives there as well as other photographer friends stayed up the coast one year.

Yes, photography's a popular hobby here. Where have you visited around here? I imagine Southern California is beautiful too. The farthest south I've been on the west coast is Santa Rosa, my Mom's school friend lived there and we went to visit. Went to SanFrancisco several times - wonderful!

GrumpyGramma 12-31-2013 09:20 PM

Very pretty. What yarn did you use?

Jan in CA 12-31-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTime (Post 1393895)
Yes, photography's a popular hobby here. Where have you visited around here? I imagine Southern California is beautiful too. The farthest south I've been on the west coast is Santa Rosa, my Mom's school friend lived there and we went to visit. Went to SanFrancisco several times - wonderful!

We stayed at Oyster Bay Resort and visited various places north and south. My friend lives in Nanaimo, too.

justplaincharlotte 01-01-2014 03:25 AM

What a nice stitch pattern in a lovely blue! :heart:

tabsheltie7 01-01-2014 05:06 AM

Beautiful scarf, I love the stitch pattern. As for the long tail cast on on the other pattern, I recommended it because of it's elasticity and it goes very well with the scarf. LTCO is my favorite and unless a pattern calls for something else, I usualy use it. I find the knit cast on to be too stiff for my taste. But if it's your preference, then by all means, go for it!:)

salmonmac 01-01-2014 06:17 AM

The scarf is elegant: beautiful color and pattern stitch. It'll keep you warm and look wonderful at the same time.

Scarves can be a bit tedious, can't they? I think you need a rich interior life to knit one.

(I'm not sure what's causing the slight bow at the cast on. It won't even be noticeable when worn. The only thing I can think might help is to cast on 1-2 fewer sts and increase on the first row or cast on with a smaller size needle and immediately change to the working size.)

Tamar Dohel 01-01-2014 09:50 AM

:muah: work, yarn and colour

laurcunningham 01-01-2014 12:51 PM

That's not boring! That's super pretty! Nice job. :yay: