KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WIP- Swiss Darned Scarf (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115966)

tabsheltie7 01-01-2014 07:27 PM

WIP- Swiss Darned Scarf

I'm working on a Swiss darned double sided scarf for someone in my knitting group. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift for her friend, but with me already having a very full plate then having to rip out all the work I did on it 4 times, it'll be a bit late. She wanted it a medium length scarf with her friend's favorite dog breed embroidered on the ends. I'm almost finished, but many of the concerns I've had from the very beginning have now become obvious.

It's way to thick and bulky, and it can't be comfortably wraped around my neck. Are there any styles of wearing it that could work? It's essentially two stockinette scarfs crocheted together back to back. The two sides don't like to stay together. I want to tack it, but there aren't many places I can do that where it isn't noticeable. I'd really appreciate any advise anyone can give me. Thank you!:pray:

GrumpyGramma 01-01-2014 08:43 PM

I had to look up Swiss darning to find out it's duplicate stitch embroidery. Thanlk you, I learned something! This sounds really cool. I immediately thought, paw prints embroidered in several places but then I think in terms of what my grandkids would like. Maybe you could incorporate something that relates to the dogs in a few places along the scarf? My idea is that if you can't hide it, make it part of the design. As for how to wear it, I'd best leave that to others.

tabsheltie7 01-01-2014 09:13 PM

I forgot to mention, it dose have several paw prints on it. But there's only so many I can put before it becomes crowded. Right now, it looks good. Is there any way I can make 'invisible' stitches?

justplaincharlotte 01-02-2014 12:45 AM

If the background color is the same on both sides, what about tacking it together in strategic spots with duplicate stitches?

I wish I had a good, pat answer but I'm going to have to leave this one for the experts. :sad:

tabsheltie7 01-02-2014 01:16 AM

Unfortunetly the background colors are red on one side and gray on the other. This project is driving me crazy! I wasn't even able to make my own friends Christmas gifts because of it.:nails:

I'll post a pic of it tomorrow, I'm having camera trouble right now.

justplaincharlotte 01-02-2014 01:42 AM

Shoot! What about the paws? Are they different colors too? If not, you could tack through the paws...

tabsheltie7 01-02-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1394018)
Shoot! What about the paws? Are they different colors too? If not, you could tack through the paws...

The paws are all black, but I couldn't get them lined up. I was trying to line them up perfectly, but they'er all off. I don't get it. I embellished them all into the same stitches in one side as the other, but they all came out in different spots. The backs of the paws do meet up, but it's only in small areas. It may still work, but I'm worried the two sides will move to much and look stretched out and ragged within just a few washes.

salmonmac 01-02-2014 06:23 AM

The scarf sounds wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing a photo.
Maybe the way to keep the two sides together is the crocheted edging? Did you crochet to join the two panels flat as you would join squares on a blanket? What if you match up the front and back with the WSs facing and crochet to join so that you make a crease? That would force a fold at the edges and tend to keep the sides together. (You may have already done this.)

tabsheltie7 01-02-2014 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the scarf. The second picture is of the two halves separating. The bottom ends are open for me to get my hand inside to weave in the ends and finish darning.

jinxnit55 01-02-2014 06:41 PM

Oh, it's SO nice! What a great job and a cute scarf. Have you tried blocking it? Otherwise, it looks like you could tack it down more at the edges, and then, also, when you sew the bottoms shut that will help hold it in place! I really like it!

ETA: What breed is it? Some kind of setter?