KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How to price a hat? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115986)

silent9426 01-03-2014 06:14 PM

How to price a hat?

I've made lace hats for several friends of mine and now someone wants me to make one for a friend of a friend. Well I'm not going to make one for free for someone I don't know but I'm not sure how to price it. So how would you price your knitting? Would $10 be good for a lace hat?

Ingrid 01-03-2014 06:35 PM

Do you work for $1 an hour? I don't know what the buyer will be willing to pay, but $10 is giving it away. . . Ask what they're willing to pay?

tabsheltie7 01-03-2014 07:16 PM

I agree with Ingrid. You don't want to over charge her, but $10 is a steal! Think about how long it takes to make it and how much the yarn costs.

GrumpyGramma 01-03-2014 07:38 PM

I've thought about this but never came up with what I thought was a price someone would pay and I felt like I'd made anything. What I have considered is for a few people such as good friends of my daughter's is to have them buy enough yarn for multiple items and I'd make one for them and keep the rest of the yarn. How much does the yarn for one of your hats run you?

Jan in CA 01-03-2014 07:58 PM

Because you can buy cheap machine knit hats in stores like Walmart and Target most people won't want to pay what it's actually worth for a hand knit. Figure out how much time you put into it and factor in the yarn cost and come up with a price. Lace takes a long time so it'll probably be a lot!

Ingrid 01-03-2014 08:31 PM

A woman at work "hired" me to knit a hat for her friend before winter break. She asked me how much money I wanted and I told her I'd think about it. The hat took me two evenings, and I used yarn that I've had sitting around for years.

When we go back to school on Monday, I'll give her the hat and let her pay me what she thinks it's worth. I'll let you know what she came up with. :shifty: (I initially told her $1000, but she didn't believe me!)

If it was for her, I'd give it to her, but she was specific about wanting to pay me, and any money in my pocket will be more than what was there before.

silent9426 01-04-2014 04:47 PM

Thanks for the input ya'll!
Honestly I wouldn't want to pay a whole lot of money if it were me buying, and I just hate to make others pay more than I would want to pay. But I realize that It is worth more and there are people who will pay.

claireweber 01-04-2014 05:19 PM

The woman that gave me my first and only knitting lesson owned and ran a knitting store. I recall a hat in the range of $59 - $69. I think it may have been wool yarn, a nice yarn, I'm certain. She only had nice yarns in her store.

What pattern have you used for the hats, and what yarn did you use to knit them?

I sold beaded jewelry for a good number of years, you can get good money for hand made items. What you would pay for a hand knitted item shouldn't be part of the equation, it's how much others are willing to pay.

silent9426 01-04-2014 05:47 PM

It's just a pattern I made up myself using a really simple lace pattern. I'm using cotton yarn. It knits up pretty fast. (That is, if 4 hours is fast. I do not claim to be a fast knitter.)

Jan in CA 01-04-2014 07:43 PM

Well, as long as you do t do it all the time I think the cost of he yarn and a little bit for your time would be okay since you already said yes. Besides you're enjoying the knitting I assume. :teehee: