KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Questions from a beginner (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116095)

smeldsgang 01-12-2014 11:40 PM

Questions from a beginner
 
1. When you begin to knit any project, is it necessary the yarn be in a ball?

2. I have heard different things about where to start your yarn. I've heard to start at the center of the yarn, after working the yarn; start with the piece easily accessible. Where do I start?

3. Why are some of the threads in red and the others are in black?

Thanks! Stephanie

GrumpyGramma 01-13-2014 01:09 AM

Hi. Generally speaking it's a good idea for the yarn to be in a ball before you knit with it. A hank of yarn will end up a tangled, snarled mess very quickly. You can start from the center or the outside, your choice. If your yarn has red and black in it, then it's a multicolor yarn. Do you have a particular project in mind?

smeldsgang 01-13-2014 01:21 AM

Thanks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1394939)
Hi. Generally speaking it's a good idea for the yarn to be in a ball before you knit with it. A hank of yarn will end up a tangled, snarled mess very quickly. You can start from the center or the outside, your choice. If your yarn has red and black in it, then it's a multicolor yarn. Do you have a particular project in mind?


Thanks for the responses!!!
Is there a good way to start forming a ball of yarn, and how do you keep it from rolling away from you? I guess if it's in a ball there will only be one place from which I can start.

Also, when I meant thread I was referring to the color of the print on each persons thread (title/question).

GrumpyGramma 01-13-2014 01:49 AM

Winding a center-pull ball You could try this method. You might find a way you like here, too. https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+win...a+ball+by+hand You can put the ball of yarn in a container of some sort to keep it from rolling away. I'm using a basket currently, sometimes I use a coffee can, other times a plastic bag from the store, it depends on what I'm making and what's handy.

The thread titles change color when you've clicked on them. That way you know when there are new posts.

Have you started knitting already? There are lots of free videos here, see tab at top of page, and they're really helpful.

smeldsgang 01-13-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1394941)
Winding a center-pull ball You could try this method. You might find a way you like here, too. https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+win...a+ball+by+hand You can put the ball of yarn in a container of some sort to keep it from rolling away. I'm using a basket currently, sometimes I use a coffee can, other times a plastic bag from the store, it depends on what I'm making and what's handy.

The thread titles change color when you've clicked on them. That way you know when there are new posts.

Have you started knitting already? There are lots of free videos here, see tab at top of page, and they're really helpful.


Great ideas for the ball of yarn!!!!!

Is there any type of notification when my question/thread has had a response?

I've begun a scarf for one of my daughters and I want to make one for my nephew. I have been watching the videos and they are very helpful and informative!

GrumpyGramma 01-13-2014 02:40 AM

You can subscribe to a thread and get email notifications. There is a Thread Tools button, top right, where you can subscribe. In User Settings you can set it to automatically subscribe you to any thread you start.

Scarves can be a lot of fun, lots of opportunity to play with colors and stitches. What pattern are you using?

smeldsgang 01-13-2014 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1394944)
You can subscribe to a thread and get email notifications. There is a Thread Tools button, top right, where you can subscribe. In User Settings you can set it to automatically subscribe you to any thread you start.

Scarves can be a lot of fun, lots of opportunity to play with colors and stitches. What pattern are you using?


I'm not using a pattern, mostly because I have no idea how to read a pattern, and I am very new to knitting. The scarf I am making my daughter is all knit stitch, which I found out is a garter stitch. If I don't learn anything thing new before I start my nephews his will be done the same way.

Do you only receive notifications through e-mail?

Thanks for all your help. I always hesitate asking questions because I'm afraid it will not be answered.

Rorshach 01-13-2014 03:30 AM

What I do to wind a center pull ball is, when I don't have my ball winder nearby, is to grab an empty TP tube, put a small tear in it to hold one end of the yarn, then wind the ball as normal. when I'm done, pull the tube out.

salmonmac 01-13-2014 05:46 AM

I agree about winding a center pull ball of yarn. Pulling yarn from the center helps keep the yarn from rolling around, too. It you buy the yarn in a skein, locate the end that's inside the skein and use that.
Welocme to the forum! We're delighted with any and all questions.

smeldsgang 01-13-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1394952)
I agree about winding a center pull ball of yarn. Pulling yarn from the center helps keep the yarn from rolling around, too. It you buy the yarn in a skein, locate the end that's inside the skein and use that.
Welocme to the forum! We're delighted with any and all questions.


How do you find the end that's inside the skein? I can never seem to find it without making a mess of the skein.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com