KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Blocking (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116115)

smeldsgang 01-14-2014 11:44 AM

Blocking

Is it necessary to block every completed project?

RochesterKnitter 01-14-2014 12:02 PM

No.....

Some people never block. Some people always block.

It really depends on the project and the yarn used.

Ex. Acrylic and durable cotton yarns don't need to be "blocked". Just wash/dry it and it's "blocked"

Wool blocks well and needs to be blocked as washing/drying will ruin/felt it.

Delicate fabrics (cashmere, alpaca, mohair) must be hand-washed and blocked as washing/drying will ruin it.

True lace MUST be blocked, regardless of yarn type, or the pattern will never show/shine through.

salmonmac 01-14-2014 02:09 PM

I think that wet blociing or spritzing pinned projects helps to even out the stitches regardless of yarn source. For me that helps with the drape of the project (and I'm thinking mostly of sweaters and shawls here). It takes comparatively little effort when you consider the hours spent knitting and it's worth it.
Are you thinking of a particular yarn or project?

GrumpyGramma 01-14-2014 02:10 PM

Superwash wool is machine washable and sometimes can go in the dryer. My sock yarns are machine washable, some can go in the dryer. I never block socks because the socks work just fine without the added bother.

justplaincharlotte 01-14-2014 02:58 PM

What RK & salmonmac said. There are things that I block and things that I don't.

I tend to block projects more often than not. If its a gift for someone else, I always block it, even if it's just dish/washcloths. I don't block my own dishcloths, but just lay them out to dry.

I do block my superwash socks for drying as I can stand my sock blockers upside down in the groove of my washing machine. Even my superwas wool socks fuzz up a bit in the dryer. I hate fuzz of any sort in/on my socks. But that's me. ;)

smeldsgang 01-14-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1395067)
I think that wet blociing or spritzing pinned projects helps to even out the stitches regardless of yarn source. For me that helps with the drape of the project (and I'm thinking mostly of sweaters and shawls here). It takes comparatively little effort when you consider the hours spent knitting and it's worth it.
Are you thinking of a particular yarn or project?

I am currently working on a scarf (garter stitch) for my dd and I'm not sure what type of yarn it is. I lost the package wrap a long time ago.

salmonmac 01-14-2014 06:35 PM

Try blocking just as an experiment to see how it comes out. If you're in doubt about the fiber, pin the scarf out to measurements on a towel or rug, spritz it well with water and let it dry completely (this last is the hardest part). See what you think.

JPC, I love the image of your socks on stretchers sticking up from your washing machine!