KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   rib pattern troubles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116150)

vale 01-15-2014 09:21 PM

rib pattern troubles

Hi there, new to the site, sort of new to knitting! I'm currently working on a cowl, all of it is in rib pattern 1x1 with circular needles the first 4 inches you go back and forth and then join in the round, so it forms sort of a collar, the problem I'm having is the back and forth pattern looks very different from the circular one, the circular one looks very even and smooth the other one just looks wrong, what am I doing incorrectly? any ideas help.

Vale

Jan in CA 01-15-2014 09:27 PM

Can you post a picture?

GrumpyGramma 01-15-2014 09:37 PM

When you go back and forth, make sure to knit the knits and purl the purls. If it looks like a knit, knit it; if it looks like a purl, purl it. My guess is that you're trying to do it the same as in the round and that won't work.

vale 01-15-2014 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm doing "Polo Match" form cowl girls from cathy Carron.

the photo is sideways, so the bottom (on the right) is done back and forth you can see it is choppy and then the ribs on the round are neater.

GrumpyGramma 01-15-2014 11:57 PM

Thanks for the photo. It looks like your tension is tighter and more even working in the round than when knitting flat. ???

vale 01-16-2014 12:14 AM

I thought so too, I tried knitting it tighter, but same problem, I even started in the middle of the round to do a couple of rows back and forth and I had the same issue. I'm thinking using a smaller needle for the first bit and then changing to the original?

GrumpyGramma 01-16-2014 01:05 AM

Ok, so you changed needle sizes. That accounts for tighter gauge. I think what you're seeing is a fairly usual variation in tension and it does get better with practice. A lot of it will probably even out with blocking or washing depending on your yarn and the fiber it's made from.

Jan in CA 01-16-2014 02:18 AM

Many people have a different gauge when knitting in the round vs flat. Going up a needle size might help.

On another note...are you twisting your stitches?

salmonmac 01-16-2014 06:32 AM

I wonder about twisted knit sts also. It looks like there are some in the knitting back and forth (purling correctly on the back of the row will give an untwisted knit stitch on the front) but the circular portion looks like the knits are pretty consistently twisted.
Are you knitting into the back of the stitch from the right instead of knitting into the front leg of the stitch from the left? Twisting the knits is a way to tighten up a rib. It looks pretty but it may not be what you want.

vale 01-16-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1395212)
Ok, so you changed needle sizes. That accounts for tighter gauge. I think what you're seeing is a fairly usual variation in tension and it does get better with practice. A lot of it will probably even out with blocking or washing depending on your yarn and the fiber it's made from.

No, no I didn't change needle sizes, that is what I'm thinking of doing so it could be tighter.