KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Southern Friends - Are You OK? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116323)

butlersabroad 01-29-2014 11:52 AM

Southern Friends - Are You OK?

With mind numbing temperatures and 39" of snow so far in January we're a bit jaded up here in the Great Frozen North with this Winter. It's easy to look at the South and think you're crazy for making such a big deal out of a tiny bit of snow. However, this is a major storm for you all, and if you're not used to it and don't have the equipment to deal with it then it doesn't matter if it's an inch or 50!

I saw photos and read reports today of children staying in schools all night or trapped on highways in school buses, along with thousands of other people in Georgia and Alabama.

Are you all well and safe? Stay indoors and keep knitting!

salmonmac 01-30-2014 05:49 AM

I thnk parts of the deep South are quickly becoming pros at dealing with snow and ice. All this with minimal equipment and experience. I was amazed at how well some of the schools were able to accommondate 250 or more students overnight.
Hope things warm up soon and get back to normal temps!

justplaincharlotte 01-30-2014 11:41 AM

Brenda,

You are so sweet to ask after us! I'm quite fine, having had sense enough to stay inside and knit while everything iced over, not 5 blocks away from the Gulf of Mexico. I had an inch of ice in my yard. BRRR! I don't know how you guys do this every year!

Mercifully it's starting to melt here, but 10 miles north of me is another matter entirely.

Thanks for checking on us. :hug:

catlvr 01-30-2014 01:24 PM

All ok in Corpus Christi, but freezing my arse off!!

butlersabroad 01-30-2014 01:56 PM

Having ice just five blocks from the Gulf beggars belief! We're warming up here today, it's a balmy 20F (-6C), although that means more snow is imminent unfortunately.

Perhaps I should hold a knitting weekend in my home one January and invite y'all up???!! That way you really will understand the meaning of "freezing my arse off!!". :rofl:

ABC's Mom 01-30-2014 05:04 PM

My brother lives in Marietta, GA. It took him 10 1/2 hours to get from his work to my niece's house. It's about another 30 minutes to his house from there on a normal day. His normal commute is about an hour. He was very tired when he made it to my niece's. Not sure how long it took him to get home the next day, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty....

tabsheltie7 01-30-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlersabroad (Post 1396098)
That way you really will understand the meaning of "freezing my arse off!!". :rofl:

Oh trust me, it does get cold in Texas too. Just the other night it got down to 4F, and it's gotten down to a -15 wind chill in the past. That may not be as cold as where you are, but some of us southerners do know what it is to be cold.:wink:

I used to live in the Houston area, this is pretty much what happens when it snows there (which is hardly ever!):teehee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHr7...e_gdata_player

GrumpyGramma 01-30-2014 07:44 PM

LOL @ Tab's video. That could be Seattle. One problem here is that when it snows the darned stuff is so wet (I call it white rain) that it turns to slush immediately and then freezes into a skating rink. We had a cold spell in December where we didn't get much, if any, above freezing for a few days but at least it was dry. That was enough. Can you imagine Seattleites that can't get to a Starbucks? The stuff nightmares are mad of.

butlersabroad 01-31-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabsheltie7 (Post 1396122)
Oh trust me, it does get cold in Texas too.

Ha, yes indeedy it does. I've had first hand experience of it too! Easter of 1996 we flew to Texas for a camping break and headed North to the Davis Mountains area where for the first three nights camping we wore practically every stitch of clothing we had with us to keep warm in our sleeping bags! Moving on to the Guadalupe area, we climbed Guadalupe Peak with 18" of snow still trapped on the Northern side, so we were up to our knees in it every time the path wound round the North side. Wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't been wearing shorts at the time!! :happydance:

butlersabroad 01-31-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1396137)
Can you imagine Seattleites that can't get to a Starbucks? The stuff nightmares are mad of.

Yeah, but you can just go to one of the other 3 million coffee places instead can't you!! Isn't there one at the end of every street? :roflhard: