KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Curling Cords (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116466)

Artchic528 02-12-2014 04:00 PM

Curling Cords

So, I've been knitting with my Dreamz circular needles for a while now and found that the cords tend to want to curl back to where they were when they were packaged. I've worked through this, but it can be annoying at times. Its been alright to deal with when knitting a garter stitch, but I don't want to have to wrestle with cords when I do something more complex.

Any way to remedy this situation?

Jan in CA 02-12-2014 05:14 PM

That can happen if you don't have much weight from the project or if your cable is too long for the project. What are you making and what length cable (measured from needle tip to tip)?

ETA- These cables are just like the Knitpicks ones or Addi. The only time I really have a problem is when the cable is too long for the project. Any cables, even flexible ones, will curl then.

Ingrid 02-12-2014 07:10 PM

You can also try to straighten them by putting them in very hot water and holding them straight to cool, or use a hot hair dryer.

GrumpyGramma 02-12-2014 10:13 PM

One thing I really love about my interchangeables is that I can wear them around my neck when I am getting ready to use them. I know exactly where to find them (I am notorious for laying things down and can't see them right in front of me) and it warms the cable at the same time. I'm just waiting until I'm in a store and realize I'm wearing my needles draped around my neck. Maybe people will think they're jewelry. :roflhard:

DogCatMom 02-13-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1397077)
One thing I really love about my interchangeables is that I can wear them around my neck when I am getting ready to use them. I know exactly where to find them (I am notorious for laying things down and can't see them right in front of me) and it warms the cable at the same time. I'm just waiting until I'm in a store and realize I'm wearing my needles draped around my neck. Maybe people will think they're jewelry. :roflhard:

Uh...try doing it with a dog leash. :oops: At the large off-leash dog park, once Mr. Dog is off his leash, I loop it around my neck. If I've been so lucky as to get a curb-side parking spot, I don't need to leash him up again to get into the car. So, one day, I got him into the car, got it into the car, drove to a local store, and...while at the checkstand, realized I had the leash STILL around my neck. :doh:

I think knitting needles would be much more chic, no? ;)

Anyway, as to misbehaving cables: I had a fixed-cable pair that did this right off the bat. I brought a pan of water almost to the boil, turned off the flame, and held both needles as I carefully draped the cable into the water and held it there for maybe 30 seconds. Then I brought it out of the water and held the needles apart the full length of the cable (i.e., cable was straight) until it cooled off--maybe another minute?

It behaved very well after that! :)

Artchic528 02-13-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
That can happen if you don't have much weight from the project or if your cable is too long for the project. What are you making and what length cable (measured from needle tip to tip)?

I am making a large garter stitch bag. The piece I have on the needles right now is the main body of the bag and its 13 inches wide. I have around 2-3 inches done so far and about 52 inches to go. I guess the piece isn't heavy enough yet.

Straightening the cord with hot water isn't really an option as its in use right now.

GrumpyGramma 02-13-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artchic528 (Post 1397159)
I am making a large garter stitch bag. The piece I have on the needles right now is the main body of the bag and its 13 inches wide. I have around 2-3 inches done so far and about 52 inches to go. I guess the piece isn't heavy enough yet.

Straightening the cord with hot water isn't really an option as its in use right now.

If it's bothering you enough, you could move the stitches to another needle or waste yarn. The advantage of using another needle would be that you could then knit right from it without transferring the stitches again. I tend to use a longer cable than is really necessary because I like to be able to spread the stitches out and see how things are shaping up. I just deal with curling until the piece gets heavier.

Jan in CA 02-14-2014 02:10 AM

13" wide going to 52"? :?? Sleeping bag? Do you have a link?

GrumpyGramma 02-14-2014 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1397170)
13" wide going to 52"? :?? Sleeping bag? Do you have a link?

I thought it would be folded in half and be 13" x 26".
Now I really am curious.

Woofens 02-14-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1397171)
I thought it would be folded in half and be 13" x 26".
Now I really am curious.

I checked her blog on the off chance she wrote about it, and it seems to be folded over 22" with a flap.