KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Learning To Knit (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116589)

smeldsgang 02-26-2014 01:33 AM

Learning To Knit
 
How did you learn to knit? How old were you when you started knitting OR how long have you been knitting?

I became interested in knitting when I watched an employee at JoAnns knit for over an hour (12/22/2013), and me asking her a lot of questions. Since then I've been teaching myself the few things I do know how to do. BTW, I am 48.

Woofens 02-26-2014 02:12 AM

I taught myself from a kit from Wal-Mart called, appropriately, "Teach Yourself to Knit". I just learned in June. I had wanted to learn since reading Debbie Macomber's book, Blossom Street. Probably close to 10 years of wanting to learn. I'm so glad I finally did.

knitcindy 02-26-2014 10:26 AM

My grandma taught me to both knit and crochet when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Then I helped myself learn more with a booklet called "The Learn How Book" that teaches how to knit, crochet, tatting and embroidery.

knitcindy

smeldsgang 02-26-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woofens (Post 1397994)
I taught myself from a kit from Wal-Mart called, appropriately, "Teach Yourself to Knit". I just learned in June. I had wanted to learn since reading Debbie Macomber's book, Blossom Street. Probably close to 10 years of wanting to learn. I'm so glad I finally did.


I've never heard of this book. What in the book interested you in knitting?

smeldsgang 02-26-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitcindy (Post 1398000)
My grandma taught me to both knit and crochet when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Then I helped myself learn more with a booklet called "The Learn How Book" that teaches how to knit, crochet, tatting and embroidery.

knitcindy


I wish I had someone who taught me. What a fun thing to do with your grandma!

pinkpearl 02-26-2014 04:39 PM

I was taught to knit by my Gran when I was about seven. I made scarves for my dolls. Then after a while I made cardigans for the dolls helped by my Mum. When I was about eleven I made myself a sweater, with a lot of help by Mum. Then nothing until I was pregnant with my first son and I made lots of his first clothes.
Continued making stuff for the boys until they grew to want sweaters from the shop and not that home made stuff.
Now years later I have just got back into it, and now they love their new home made aran sweaters.

Woofens 02-26-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeldsgang (Post 1398001)
I've never heard of this book. What in the book interested you in knitting?

The book is based around a yarn store teaching knitting lessons.

smeldsgang 02-27-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpearl (Post 1398051)
I was taught to knit by my Gran when I was about seven. I made scarves for my dolls. Then after a while I made cardigans for the dolls helped by my Mum. When I was about eleven I made myself a sweater, with a lot of help by Mum. Then nothing until I was pregnant with my first son and I made lots of his first clothes.
Continued making stuff for the boys until they grew to want sweaters from the shop and not that home made stuff.
Now years later I have just got back into it, and now they love their new home made aran sweaters.


Wow! You have been knitting for a long time, and made a lot of nice items. Being taught by your gran must have really made an impression on you.

Jan in CA 02-27-2014 12:23 AM

I started knitting in 2005 and I'm 61 now. I crocheted, but prefer the look of knitting so I decided to learn. I took a local class which proved basically useless so I'm self taught.

If you're wondering... The teacher insisted there was only one right way to knit...her way. Wrong way to teach x1000.

GrumpyGramma 02-27-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1398106)
I started knitting in 2005 and I'm 61 now. I crocheted, but prefer the look of knitting so I decided to learn. I took a local class which proved basically useless so I'm self taught.

If you're wondering... The teacher insisted there was only one right way to knit...her way. Wrong way to teach x1000.

That's horrid! At least the book I used showed English and Continental. I've not been to a class, whatever I know I learned mostly from here after I got so I could do knits and purls. I really started knitting, and found KH, because my grandson wanted a sweater and the yarn wasn't crocheting well. He'd chosen the yarn and I was determined to make it work.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.


copyright knittinghelp.com