KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hung up on Black Death! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116950)

bambi 03-25-2014 02:55 PM

Hung up on Black Death!

Hi!

I am really hung up on a pattern called Black Death. I found it on Ravelry but the designer also posted it as a freebee on her website.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/black-death

I knit the large shawl and ended with the correct st count. I started the lace section which reads as follows:

Row 1: K2 (yo, K2, SKP, K2, yo, K1) to last st, K1

Row 2: K2, p to last 2 st, K2

(same until row 9)

Row 9: K2, (YO, K7, YO, K1) to last st, K1

Row 10 is same as row 2

The designer says that the st count remains the same until row 9 but doing the odd # rows, I am adding a st for each pattern repeat. There are 2 YO and only one SKP per pattern repeat so how can the st count remain the same?????

Any help is appreciated.

salmonmac 03-25-2014 05:07 PM

It looks like the designer sacrificed clarity for brevity. See the definition for SKP:
SKP - Slip the first stitch, knit the next two stitches together, pass the slipped stitch over

So that makes it 2 yo's and a double decrease. I don't know why a designer would unnecessarily complicate a pattern this way.

xToXicBeAutYx 03-25-2014 05:16 PM

That is crazy! I hate when people post patterns confusingly!

But thanks for the post! That's really cute, so I'm adding it to my queue.

bambi 03-25-2014 05:24 PM

Thanks so much!! I thought I was going nuts!!!!

salmonmac 03-25-2014 06:47 PM

Aw, not nuts. Ti's not called the Black Death for nothin'!

RochesterKnitter 03-25-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xToXicBeAutYx (Post 1400108)
That is crazy! I hate when people post patterns confusingly!

As far as I know SKP is NOT a standard knitting abbreviation (SSK is). A quick look at the listed abbreviations would/should have solved the problem without confusion (not a diss of the OP).

GrumpyGramma 03-25-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1400118)
Aw, not nuts. Ti's not called the Black Death for nothin'!

:thumbsup:

Nice pattern. Thanks for the link, bambi. Now I won't be pulling my hair out because I can't figure it out.

bambi 03-27-2014 06:21 PM

I had even looked on the standard abbreviations list to make sure I wasn't going nuts. SKP stands for slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped st and SK2P is slip, k2tog, pass according to the craft yarn council. She meant the later in the pattern.

She did write the pattern when she was ill with a deep tissue infection so I'm not being too hard on her. :)

The designer chose to make the points not line up with the end but I decided to have a pointy end so I remade the lace to line up right. When I'm done, I will post my revisions to make the lace pointy at the end. :knitting:

I still think it will look lovely. I am using mostly acrylic yarn so I am going to steam block a swatch and "kill" a swatch to see what it will look like.

RochesterKnitter 03-27-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambi (Post 1400287)
I had even looked on the standard abbreviations list to make sure I wasn't going nuts. SKP stands for slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped st and SK2P is slip, k2tog, pass according to the craft yarn council. She meant the later in the pattern.

I would argue that while a "standard" per the Craft Yarn Council, SK2P could easily be misinterpreted as Slip 1, Knit 2, Pass (or purl).

In any event, it clearly isn't a common enough abbreviation (like SSK) to be truly "standardized," IMO. Personnally, if I was writing a pattern, I would write it SK2togP.

In any event, glad you got it figured out.

Artchic528 03-28-2014 12:54 AM

Not meaning to derail this thread, so I apologize to the OP, but is there really a Craft Yarn Council? If so, who is the chairperson etc?