KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Headache from smell of yarn? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117850)

Artchic528 06-11-2014 04:13 PM

Headache from smell of yarn?

I might be over reacting to this, but when I tried working with this specific yarn, I get a sinus headache of sorts. It's not a true sinus headache though, and my eyes feel tired as well as a general headache, but it's still annoying nonetheless.

I am thinking I'm either reacting to the smell of the yarn, or worse yet, I'm allergic to it. :zombie:

The yarn is Debbie Macomber: Blossom Street yarn, in Wild Meadow color (pink). It's a DK weight yarn, which is the first DK wieght yarn I've ever worked with. I's also the first wool blend I've worked with. It's 84% Acrylic, 16% Wool.

I don't know what to do, other than to put it away and not work with it anymore. The thing is, I've got 10 skeins of it (it was on sale and I couldn't resist), so it's rather disappointing to me. :pout:

salmonmac 06-11-2014 05:31 PM

Oh, that is disappointing. Have you worked with wool before? Usually it's a contact allergy so maybe itchiness and a rash. I wonder if the yarn is treated with something that is causing your reaction?

Jan in CA 06-11-2014 05:58 PM

Maybe it's the type of dye used?

GrumpyGramma 06-11-2014 06:21 PM

Could it be coincidental and you have hay fever that just happened to show up at the same time?

Artchic528 06-11-2014 07:01 PM

I haven't worked with wool yarn before, but I have worn felted wool coats and even have a felted wool cap and scarf all the way from Ireland. Both are made out of 100% authentic Ireland sheep's wool.

I haven't ever had a reaction to wool before, so I don't think it's that.

It could be the dye used, and I've been known to be allergic to dyes used in the gel coating of certain medications, or so I think. I just know that if I take certain medications, I break out in hives and my eyes and lips puff up.

Anyways, I am going to go with the whole coincidence thing, and hope I just have hay fever now. Not that I am allergic to any pollens or dust mites. In fact, I am not allergic to much else than those certain medications I mentioned earlier.

Come to think of it, I have a headache coming on right now, and the yarn is all the way upstairs. So, yeah, I don't think it's the yarn in particular making me feel this way.

GrumpyGramma 06-11-2014 07:30 PM

My idea: Package up all but one skein/ball in plastic bags and seal them. Wash that one skein/ball and let it dry. See it makes a difference. If it turns out that you are actually allergic and can't do anything about it maybe they'll take the yarn back and refund your money.

Artchic528 06-16-2014 12:12 AM

Ya know what? I think it must have been a huge coincidence as I picked the very same yarn up today (tore out what I did with it when I had my "episode" and started fresh) and worked with it a while and felt just fine. Talk about irony. :teehee:

Which, I am glad to say, is a huge relief as I love the yarn and am making it into a nice blanket right now. It'll be my go to project when I feel like picking up something big that takes a while to do. Something to do in between the smaller projects. :knitting: