KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Is there anything you'd like to see included on this site? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28193)

amy 11-05-2004 03:30 AM

Is there anything you'd like to see included on this site?

Suggestions are welcome!

humblestumble 11-06-2004 05:02 PM

Videos

I would like to see a slightly pulled back video of how to hold the yarn in both hands becaus I don't know how. I've developed my own way and the way you do the continental method makes it look sooo much faster! :D

amy 11-06-2004 06:07 PM

sure

I've been thinking of redoing the basic knit and purl videos, slower, with audio instructions, and tips. I'll be sure to include a good distance shot!

It should be up, within a few days, if the weather cooperates. (I need a sunny day, for good lighting!)

humblestumble 11-07-2004 11:31 PM

awesome!

i think that"s a spendid thing to do :D

amy 11-08-2004 02:26 AM

Ohhhh, today was such a perfect video-shooting type day. So warm and sunny! (It had to be close to 70 degrees. Here in New England! In November!).

Alas, I had to go out of town, and couldn't shoot videos today.

amy 11-08-2004 11:39 PM

Angela,
I re-shot the basic knitting videos today, and they're up. I need to re-do them, because I didn't get that good a shot of the yarn holding in the English Knitting video; and while I was shooting the Continental Knitting video, a lawn mower started up!
I would have re-shot them today, but then the clouds rolled in. So I'll have to wait to re-do them, and also to re-do the Basic Purl videos as I've planned...

Marnie 11-09-2004 12:18 PM

My 2

I think some videos on fixing mistakes would be great. Dropped stitches are always intimidating to new knitters and there are a couple easy ways to fix them.

It'd also be good to have illustrated the difference between the way stitches are situated when you knit flat or in the round and discuss knitting into the leading edge instead of focusing on trying to always knit into the front loop.

:D

amy 11-09-2004 08:36 PM

Hi Marnie!

I've been thinking of creating a "misc." page in the Basic Techniques, and including exactly that: how to pick up stitches, how to put the needle back in the work if it comes out (very basic, but no doubt useful to the beginner), and how to run a row down, to fix an error.

Your other suggestions are also right on. I'll make a note of them!

Thanks!
Amy

PS
When you say there are a couple of ways to fix a dropped stitch, do you mean a) with a crochet hook, and b) with a needle? Or do you have another clever method I don't know about?...

Marnie 11-09-2004 11:39 PM

Hey Amy,

Regarding picking up stitches, I use one of two methods, either the crochet hook method which I find easier to use on finished garments that sprint a leak, so to speak, and using your knitting needle to hold the bottom stitch, and the bar above it, then passing the stitch over the bar and on up the run. I think those are the methods you are referencing. This topic, of course can get pretty involved since picking up decreases/increases, YOs and the like can get pretty complicated, which makes me think that maybe a brief discussion of "life lines" might be in order.

:wink:

amy 11-10-2004 12:53 AM

Marnie,

I didn't know about using "lifelines!" Thanks for bringing it up! (That's right everyone, I'm just your average knitter, not really a super-know-it-all!)

...So, the idea seems to be (from my brief search on the web): you thread a thin, slippery yarn through the stitches (along the lines of the needle), while leaving the needle on the work. Then you continue knitting, without knitting the lifeline yarn. You can pull the lifeline out easily at any time, but it is there if you need to frog the work, so you can easily put the stitches back on the needle. ...Do I have the right idea?

Are lifelines generally only used in lace work?