KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   advanced technique i'd like to see on here... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28231)

mzundercover 11-26-2004 08:40 AM

advanced technique i'd like to see on here...

...KITCHENER STITCH!

i've tried it several times but i just don't "get" it!

thanks much, i love this site and have passed it on to several knitting groups that i'm on!

amy 11-26-2004 10:33 AM

Definitely, that's one thing I'll be including! It's great to have the request--it's motivating. I'll put it up soon! :wink:

Amy

DrCheryl 11-26-2004 01:11 PM

centered double increase

I'd love to see the centered double increase that is used in the Rogue Hoodie. Mine have a hole under them and that annoys me no end!

amy 11-26-2004 10:04 PM

Welcome DrCheryl!

I don't know what you mean by the Rogue Hoodie...?

I do have a video of centered double decrease. It's in the "Abbreviations Explained" page, under CDD. (I'll have a page up showing double decreases, in the decrease section, eventually, but for now you can find it there!)

Is this the double decrease you're using? I can't imagine how you'd be getting a hole!

I think I must be missing something here!....
??

Amy

DrCheryl 11-27-2004 12:35 AM

Ahh, the centered double *decrease* is no problem. But the centered double *increase* is. The Rogue Hoodie is a pattern widely discussed and knitted in the blog world. It has very nice celtic knot work on the sleeves, a center panel and around the hood. The centered double increase is used to start the knot.

Cheryl

amy 11-28-2004 01:30 AM

Oh, I see, I mis-read your post! Gotcha. That's funny, because I was thinking "I could see a double increase causing a hole..." LOL

Ahh, I found your Rogue Hoodie with a google search yesterday. It's really funny, because I've stumbled upon it twice today by accident, since then! I see what you mean about it being a buzz in blog-land!

There are two double increase combo's I can think of that don't create a hole.

If you don't mind there being a central stitch between them, you could do:
M1L, k1, M1R

If you want them side by side, you could use these two (the first one works off the left edge of the last stitch, and the second one off the right edge of the next stitch):
kinc, followed by Lifted Increase Right.

(definitions are on the increase page)

Both these double increases look great.
Good question!

Amy

amy 12-01-2004 12:29 AM

MZundercover,

I've put up the kitchener stitch video! It's in the advanced techniques section.

Amy

Kiri 12-01-2004 04:55 PM

Wow! That will sure come in handy.

Your video shows two pieces of stockingette stitch.

Would I use the same technique when joining pieces of, say, garter stitch?

amy 12-01-2004 08:59 PM

You would use a different sequence for garter stitch. Here's the sequence:

Hold the work so that a recently purled row is facing towards you on both needles (or a recently knit row facing away from you, clearly):

To begin:
Near Needle: purl
Far Needle: purl

Repeated sequence:
Near Needle: knit (drop stitch), purl
Far Needle: knit (drop stitch), purl

Kiri 12-01-2004 11:05 PM

Thank you!