KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Making own needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28250)

PiousPoet 12-03-2004 06:25 PM

Making own needles

I was watching the making you own knitting needles video and had a few questions. Does anyone know the wood that common wood dowels are made of? Also, how do these homemade needles compare to bought needles in wood such as bamboo, both in feeling and use? Thanks.

amy 12-04-2004 07:37 PM

I don't know what kind of wood the usual hardware store dowels are made from. If you buy them from a lumber place, they can probably tell you. Also, it's possible to get dowels in any wood, if you know where to look (I did an online search, so I know lots of varieties exist.)

I've purchased two pairs of store bought wooden needles. Both were rougher than my hand sanded needles. I'm sure there are good brands out there, which would be better than these I bought, and as good or even better than my handmade ones, but these were pretty bad. I recommend feeling them before you buy them, if you buy pre-made ones.

Bamboo needles I've bought have been very smooth. Smoother than my own wood ones, because they use some kind of coating to make them slightly more slippery. Of course you could coat your handmade needles with a wax to make them more slippery. I've never done this; I haven't found it necessary. I would probably do this if I were to attempt another pair of long needles. I like the unfinished wood for DPN's, but prefer something more slippery for long needles.

Amy

PiousPoet 12-04-2004 07:52 PM

Thank you Amy. I got my dowels and hope to make my first set of needles today. I think I may coat them with some mineral oil for some more slickness.

roxyquiksilver34 12-04-2004 08:52 PM

Heh heh I cheated

While scavanging thru my kitchen this past week, I saw I had a whole drawerful of bamboo chopsticks from the local Chinese take-out place by me and they are PERFECT for size 7 or 8 DPN or SPN (if you make little Fimo clay buttons for the ends and attatch with a tack and some craft glue) - just sharpen up the tips a little more and sand lightly with some nice extra-fine grit paper. Voila! (Mineral oil makes a nice sheen finish, too.

Tori 12-19-2004 04:12 AM

Hello, I'm a newbie to this site and to knitting. Just wanted to say hi and how wonderful this site for all use beginners out there! I have learned so much just from some of the videos....so to the site creator thanks so much!

I make polymer clay beads and to finish my beads I use a wood finish called " flecto varathane" it's made by rustolem and can be found at most home improvement stores I think I got mine at Lowes. Anyway I was thinking that you could use this wood finish on your handmade needles to make them smooth. It dries really fast and has no stickiness or smell.

I personally love the bamboo needles and find that I can knit longer because of the weight and smoothness of them. I tried others and some are just way too heavy.

I am having trouble finding some good ones online I make a lot of scarves and like to use the double ended short needles.

This is a great site so glad I found it :D