KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ISO: "The Principles of Knitting" book (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28251)

amy 12-04-2004 02:50 AM

ISO: "The Principles of Knitting" book

I know this is a long shot, but....

I've been using this book that I got from the library, called "The Principles of Knitting." It's 571 pages long, and has been an important reference for me for shooting the videos (with accurate information!) on this site! In short, I really need to keep this book! I'm no where near done using it for this site!

I have to return this book next week, and the book is no longer in print! And get this...the used ones on Amazon are currently selling for $250+! (!!!!)

It's hard to imagine that one of you out there may be willing to give or lend me a $250 book....but on the incredible chance that you might....I'm just putting this prayer out there!

(Oh Christmas Angels, are you listening?....Santa?....)

PiousPoet 12-04-2004 11:36 AM

You might find this useful. Here's an auction for one on ebay for one that ends in 6 days. May be able to get it for a cheaper price, and the seller has a good rep. Hope it works out for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

amy 12-04-2004 06:53 PM

Wow, how'd you find that?! I just did an eBay search yesterday, and the only one that came up had a starting bid of $200!

This one is currently at only $20! Of course there's still 6 days left.... I'll definitely try bidding! Thanks!!!

Amy

craftyzoey 12-04-2004 07:35 PM

Amy,
Girl, you need that book - if your website is any indication of the quality of that book - you should own one!! And I can't believe it's out of print!!

I'll check around where I live - at some used book stores and our public library booktique. I'll also ask my Aunt who lives at a retirement village if anyone there might have a copy. She knows a lot of very crafty people - one of her good friends was an Occupational Therapist - she might be a good resource.

I'll keep you posted -

~zoe

amy 12-04-2004 07:42 PM

Thanks, CraftyZoey!

Yeah, this book is "the book." You know how everybody loves the Vogue Knitting book, because it's got "everything" in it...? Well this book is twice as thick!! (Not to put down Vogue Knitting, in any way. That is an awesome book, and more than sufficient for most knitter's needs. But for a researcher like me, the Priciples of Knitting has been indispensable!)

PiousPoet 12-04-2004 07:54 PM

Hope the auction turns out well for you.

amy 12-05-2004 12:55 AM

Thanks PiousPoet. BTW, welcome to the forum! I didn't realize you were new, because I recognize your name from another forum! (tkga?) LOL!

Nice to have you on board!

Amy

PiousPoet 12-05-2004 02:23 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've been on TKGA for a while. :D

Chris 12-15-2004 08:10 PM

hey there Amy...there is a book on ebay with buy it now, for 235 + 15 shipping....Seller is in NY, maybe I could pick up the book when I go to NY for Christmas.... and if not
I am good for the shipping.....
Anyone else for a contribution??
Chris

amy 12-15-2004 10:20 PM

Chris, thanks for that offer!

I am very tempted to get that one.

I can't help but wonder, though, if the prices will go down after Christmas? Should we wait? Doesn't it seem like they would go down? They were much lower in October, like $150! (I thought it was a lot then! Now I'm kicking myself!) But with knitting gaining in popularity still, it's hard to tell how much of the price increase is seasonal, and how much is just plain demand!

Hubby thinks I should wait.... What d'yall think? What if it keeps going UP??!!

The good news is, the Christmas angels have been answering my prayers. I've had two other generous contributions towards the book, as well as a handful of "tip jar" contributions. It really helps, I appreciate it so much!

Amy