KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   help, videos not working (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28277)

jeanette 12-13-2004 04:09 PM

help, videos not working

Hi all, Ive just joined and have to say what a brilliant site it is. I have a problem though, I cant watch any videos :cry: When I click on the icon all I get is 'page not available'. I have downloaded the windows media player but no luck. Can anyone help please :D
Many thanks, Jeanette

amy 12-13-2004 04:20 PM

Hi Jeanette!

Sorry, that's my fault. I'm currently adding a TON of content to the site, and there are a few pages who's videos are not currently working because of the process. They will be working tomorrow! The problem occured when my internet connection broke in the middle of the night last night, and it downloaded part of the page content, but not the new video links. Since the videos are so enormous, I have to wait until tonight to finish uploading them! (I wish I could do it now, but my husband needs the bandwidth for his business during the day).

Sorry for the inconvenience!
(Maybe I should put a note on the pages, to let people know they'll be working tomorrow!)

Amy

amy 12-13-2004 04:34 PM

There...Most of the videos should be working now. The newest ones will be up tomorrow!

Moo 01-11-2005 01:13 AM

help, videos not working

Hi Amy!

First I want to say that I love your site..........excellent!

I am having problems with the videos. I don't have Media Player connected because it freezes up my computer, and every time I click on a video on your site to view it goes to Media Player, and my computer freezes. Is there a way to see the videos in Quick Time, which I have on my computer. I sure would like to see these videos.

Moo :wink: :)

Anne 01-11-2005 11:53 AM

I view the videos using Quick Time

amy 01-12-2005 12:14 AM

Welcome Moo!

If your Media player is acting like that, you probably want to uninstall it. That alone might do the trick. If not, re-intall Quicktime, and I believe it will ask you if you want to make it your default player for certain things, and just say yes to all.

Hope that does the trick for you!
Amy

Moo 01-12-2005 02:51 AM

help, videos not working

Hi Amy!

Thanks for the welcome. My Media Player has been uninstalled all along. When I click on the little video icon on your site it goes straight to Media Player for viewing, and freezes, so is it only Media Player that demonstrates your videos? I have Quick Time, and it is fine. I use Quick Time on other sites that demonstrate their videos in Quick Time, I don't have to reinstall it, and I have no problem with it. Is there a certain icon I am to click on to view in Quick Time on your site? Why would I have to reinstall Quick Time when I already have it?

Moo :)

amy 01-12-2005 03:28 AM

There are different types of movie files that a site can use. ".avi", ".mpg," are two. Your preferences are probably set to open .avi files with Quicktime, and .mpg files with Media Player.

There's probably a short-cut to changing your preferences in your browser, but I don't know it. By re-installing Quicktime, you should be able to choose the file types you want to default to Quicktime. Just choose all file types shown, since your Media Player is giving you trouble.

Hope it works for you!
Amy

beldaraan 01-12-2005 12:29 PM

Here's how you can change your preferences in Quicktime.

Edit
Preferences --> QuickTime Preferences
File Type Associations (from the pull down menu)
(check mark ON for the "notify me if other applications modify these viewer associations)
File Types

From here you can click everything or just click the .avi and .mpg files.

If Windows was set as a default for any of these files, then you'll get notified of it. If you don't get a message, and Quicktime still will not work on Amy's website, then I would look for updates and/or reinstall.

Good luck!

amy 01-12-2005 12:41 PM

Beldaraan, thank you!!!!

For some reason I was thinking you had to do this within your browser's preferences. No wonder I couldn't figure it out! LOL. That's very straight forward, and definitely faster than re-installing!

GREAT to know.