KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Breast Cancer Awarness KAL--Great Beginners Project. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28703)

foldedbird 02-12-2005 05:54 PM

Breast Cancer Awarness KAL--Great Beginners Project.

*screeches up with moving van*

Nuno, I can't *believe* you beat me to the new neighborhood!!! :x hehehe.

March's project on the blog has been moved back to KH, where we so rightly belong. See what's going to happen to the blog in a future post.

Now, lets get to the knitty-gritty. Below are the project guidelines.

Please check out this link:

http://karenelaine.typepad.com/appletini_time/

Karen is a wonderfully talented artist that's been featured on the Carol Duvall show quite a few times, and other shows as well I think. She's been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, and her prognosis isn't very good. I have been very moved by her story, and have been following her blog for quite sometime.

So, here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to honor her, and other breast cancer victims by having a LOT of knitters knit up pink scarves to further raise awareness about breast cancer. I'd also like to have everyone submit pictures, and have some of them sent to Karen as special gifts to let her know that we care about this very important issue.

Here are a few guidelines for the scarves:
1. You may chose any pattern you wish, any yarn you wish. The only rule is that it has to be a shade of pink or purple. I'm saying purple is OK, because I believe Karen is a fan of purple. :)
2. There are lots of patterns out there for breast cancer awarness scarves, I'll provide links/book names later.
3. You don't *have* to submit your yarn to be sent to Karen, but I'd be tickled *pink* if you do.
4. The scarves need to be completed by April 1, 2005, and pictures need to be sent to deniseknits@gmail.com to be sent to Karen.
5. I'm gently asking if everyone can persuade 2 friends to join this knitalong and 5 friends to talk to their doctor about breast cancer.

I'd like to see as many folks join this knit a long as possible, so please help me with accomplishing this goal!

There were still be an alternate project for March for the more advanced knitters, but this is a GREAT project for you advanced folks to get 'newbies' involved in. Talk to your church group, your LYS, other blogs/forums you read, the PTA, your mom, your aunt, your sister, your 3rd cousin twice removed. And even your husbands! Guys knit, too.

Don't feel like knitting a scarf? Knit something else pink!

foldedbird 02-12-2005 05:57 PM

This is a link for many other folks doing Breast Cancer Awarness KAL's, just for your viewing pleasure.

amigarabita 02-13-2005 08:28 PM

ok, sorry if i am being dense, but do we just send a picture when we're done, or do we send the scarf somewhere???

i am totally up for this: are we just supposed to finish it sometime in march?

foldedbird 02-13-2005 11:43 PM

I'd like to see pictures of everyone's scarves, if possible. If you *want* to, you can opt to send your scarf to Karen. I'm still waiting to hear back from her on sending the scarves to her. I'll keep you all posted on this!

Denise

beldaraan 02-28-2005 12:09 AM

Went to my fav lys with my knittin' bud and picked out my yarn for the boobie scarf. I haven't bought the yarn yet (or the needles, since I only own 2 pairs right now), but the lady knows what I want. Hopefully, I'll be going back shortly to make my purchases. Anyone else have pink on their needles right now?

foldedbird 02-28-2005 12:44 AM

I just finished up Jade's birthday scarf, which has a little bit of pink in it, but it's mostly yellow and orange.

I should be getting my yarn for the BCKAL scarf Tuesday. I am armed and dangerous with my 40 percent off coupon!

MaggieL 03-01-2005 08:30 AM

I've completed about 3/4 of the scarf. I've encourage a few friends who want to learn to knit that this would be a great project to start with.

foldedbird 03-01-2005 08:50 AM

Way to go Maggie!!! Look at you, Miss Fast Fingers!

Maggie, you have definitely given us a reason to get going today. I can't wait to see your FO. Thanks so much for getting others to join. Won't you have them send in pictures, too?

foldedbird 03-01-2005 08:57 AM

START DAY!

To all my dahling KALSTERS (yes I made that up):

Today, March 1st is our official start day. Everyone should have at least purchased their yarn, or have darn good intentions to head out the door.

There is a 40% coupon for Michaels for this week, might be in Sunday's paper, your Penny Saver, Super Saver, local military newspaper, or in your neighbors newspaper. I have never been beyond stealing their paper at 4 a.m., taking out the flyer and putting the paper back. All is fair in Coupons N' War.

If you steal TWO neighbors papers, you can harass some lady walking in to Michael's and buying a skein of yarn for you with the other coupon. This is the only legal way to use two coupons, but then you run the risk of her using the coupon for herself. *gasp* You could get your DH, DS, DD, etc. to go to the store with you and buy your yarn w/coupon. Also legal.

Lastly, you can sweet talk the cashier into ringing up your yarn purchases seperately and using the coupon twice, but not very likely...I've been told by a nameless Michael's employee that the store managers are now checking the cashier's tapes at the end of the day to see how many times the coupons have been used. Can you believe each coupon has it's own UPC code??? It's like they don't trust us! *has look of mock disbelief*.

So, in conclusion, GO BUY YOUR YARN AND START KNITTING YOUR SCARF!

Denise

amy 03-01-2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Everyone should have at least purchased their yarn, or have darn good intentions to head out the door.
Oh I see: Head out the door to purchase yarn.... I thought you meant head out the door, like leave this project thread! I thought, "Geeze, she's strict! Must have been hanging out too long with Sargent Mark" LOL :lol:

Just popping in here. :) Happy KALing everyone! :)
Amy