KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Booga Bag with Pocket (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28827)

kmmcall 02-23-2005 06:06 PM

Booga Bag with Pocket

I'm knitting my 2 daughters purses for Easter (getting an early start as I'm still a pretty slow knitter!). I'm using Black Sheep Bag pattern for the Booga Bag but would really like to add a small pocket inside the purse for their cell phones.

Can anyone give me advice on how I can add a pocket to this pattern please? Thanks very much!

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-23-2005 07:42 PM

In the book felted knits there is a bag with an outside pocket... it has the knitter making the pocket seperately, then slip stitching it onto the main body of the bag. They suggest putting a piece of cardboard in the main part of the bag to prevent sewing through the back layer. HTH.

kmmcall 02-23-2005 11:14 PM

Thanks very much...I'll give this a try.

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-23-2005 11:21 PM

Speaking of the Booga Bag, I've read in a few places that some people thought the bottom was flimsy... what do you think? I started one a bit ago, but stopped after I read that. I was thinking about using a double strand on the bottom of the bag, but I only have 3 skeins of my dyelot and I don't want to run out of the yarn... :?

Jouf 02-24-2005 11:20 AM

kmmcall - I'm not sure - BUT I would make the pocket separately and felt it separately and then sew it on. I would be afraid that it would all felt together and there'd be NO pocket!

Helde - Maybe you could use a contrasting color just for the bottom - or just add the second strand a different color at the bottom. What color were you doing? Were you doing the striped version? I want to make it in a more boring neutral color.

Jouf

Jouf 02-24-2005 02:28 PM

Hey - one other thought re the bottom of purse - ever seen that plastic stuff that some people put yarn through and then make like a tissue box or something?? Well how about cutting a piece of that plastic the size of the bottom - and stitching down in the inside?? You could knit a rectangle to put over it that you felt too. You could just felt a rectangle bigger than you need and cut to fit in there. It's still all washable and it would make it sturdy.

I think that's a GREAT idea, by George (even if I say so myself)!!!

jouf

kmmcall 02-24-2005 04:27 PM

Great suggestions! Boy I'm really glad I didnt' start the felting yet or else I'd probably be knitting another pocket! :P

Excellent idea about using the plastic and knitting another rectangle to cover it...very clever...
Thank you everyone...god I love this site!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-24-2005 07:41 PM

hmm.. yeah i was thinking of just using a double strand for the bottom. What i might do is use one strand of the kureyon (i'm using #138) and then another strand of something else that I have leftovers of, assuming it matches. Which means I need to do another swatch *sigh*
I like the plastic canvas idea too...and if I use that, it won't matter what i use on the inside bottom... ooo fun! thanks!!!!!! :D

Jouf 02-24-2005 09:04 PM

Hilde - PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE - a swatch for a purse????????

I must say that I swear to you I will NEVER make a swatch for a nonwearable item. I promise. I guess you can say I'll just walk on the wild side and take a chance. Call me....

Dare Devil Jouf

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-24-2005 11:22 PM

heheh funny :lol: I don't do swatches for scarves, mittens, hats or non-wearable projects, UNLESS i am felting them. And if i want to use 2 different yarns together for a felted project I usually do 2 swatches, just to make sure. call me anal retentive! :roll: