KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Zipper in sweater (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28844)

kmmcall 02-25-2005 12:15 PM

Zipper in sweater

Hi there! I've just finished knitting a cardigan (my first adult sweater!! YEAH!). It was easier than I thought and am pretty happy with it. I used Knitting Pure & Simple neckdown jacket pattern #201. The instructions were very clear and I'd recommend it for anyone who is just starting out on sweaters.

Now I have to sew in the zipper and have never dealt with zippers before. The pattern calls for a separating zipper. My LYS told me to base stitch the zipper in place and then hand sew it in. My problem is that the sweater is stockinet stich and the edges where the zipper goes is curling. What should I do? Ignore the curling and go ahead and base stich the zipper in anyway? Helpppp!!!
Thanks!

knitfun 02-25-2005 01:04 PM

Hey there,

I know exactly what you mean.....I had a sweater that I did just like that curling and all.

I did manage to fix it by crocheting the zipper edges before I put the zipper in. That gave a nice edge to sew onto. Not to mention a nice look too.

I'll take a picture and post it up for you sometime in the next few hours.

Lori

kmmcall 02-25-2005 01:12 PM

Thanks Lori! I'm really glad to hear that there's still hope for this sweater yet...it took me almost a month to complete and I'd hate to have to rip it out...actually I probably wouldn't do that as it would break my heart! :(

Roxanne 02-25-2005 03:20 PM

Did the pattern ask you to knit a band where the zipper will be installed? I just did the ribby cardi and we had to pick up stitches at the zipper edge and seed stitch a band for the zipper to lie.

Here's a good link for installing a zipper from Chicknits.com *

I, of course, didn't install my zipper...I was too afraid a hand sewn in one would come out too...so I had a seamstress do it for me.

*[Editor's note: We can not link directly to this site, per owner's request. So I've removed the direct link. ~Amy]

kmmcall 02-25-2005 04:59 PM

Hi Roxanne! Thanks for sharing that link. My pattern didn't call for a band for the zipper...hence my curling problem. I just looked at the link and understand how nicely a band would have worked. Unfortunately I it's too late at this point to add one because the fronts of the sweater would end up bigger than they should be.

Now that I see how to pin down the zipper I just did mine and discovered that the 20" separating zipper is too short!! I didn't realize that you can cut a zipper to make it fit perfectly. Looks like I'll be making another trip down to the store to get another zipper....

I'm thinking that learning how to knit is the easy part...it's all the details and tricks that go along with the knitting that are killing me! Thank goodness for all you generous people out there willing to share your time and knowledge...THANK YOU. :D

knitfun 02-25-2005 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first time I tried to post it didn't work, maybe this will.

This is a closeup of the row of crochet I added to the cardigan. It was my first, and not perfect but I am proud anyway!

My zipper was too short and I didn't want to "shorten the zipper, instead I went with the shorter zipper and added two buttons and a chain loop for the closure above the top of the zipper. I'll try to post a pic, it is hard to visualize...

Lori

Flappy 02-25-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxanne
Here's a good link for installing a zipper from Chicknits.com *

*[Editor's note: We can not link directly to this site, per owner's request. So I've removed the direct link. ~Amy]

Off Topic: Are you serious? Chicknits won't let others link to "deep pages" on their website? How short-sighted and blustery of them. What publication doesn't want distribution?

Let me guess... we're allowed to link to their homepage, but not to any other page on their site? To maintain the "sanctity" of their user experience? :roll:

What a load of hooey. Someone needs to explain the formless nature of the Web and the benefits of the free flow of information to the sweethearts behind that site.

Someone should report them to www.dontlinktous.com, which catalogs stupid linking policies of specific sites on the Web. I especially like the Official Linking Policy of this site, which states:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlinktous.com
The Linking Policy for Don't Link to Us! precludes us from requesting permission to link to a site, and compels us to link directly to the targeted page (i.e., a "deep link") rather than to a site's home page.

Note, I understand that hotlinking an image file is wrong, unless you have permission-- it's stealing someone's creative work and making them pay for bandwidth. But I fail to see how simple LINKS to another website are ever wrong. It's like saying "Hey, Chicknits has some cool stuff... I'll make it easy for you to check out. Click here."

amy 02-25-2005 09:41 PM

Actually, we're not allowed to link to any pages on that site. At least, that's my understanding. It's not a general policy, but a stipulation specific to this site. (It's a long story.)

Flappy 02-25-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy
Actually, we're not allowed to link to any pages on that site. At least, that's my understanding. It's not a general policy, but a stipulation specific to this site. (It's a long story.)

1. Ooo. Sounds juicy. Is it a long story you're allowed to tell?

2. No matter the history, it's still a stupid policy on their part.

3. Do we need to start rival knitting gangs? Amy and her crew will all wear blue scarves, and the chicknits weenies will wear red legwarmers.

amy 02-25-2005 10:28 PM

LOL. :lol: For fear of fanning the flames, I won't go into the full story. (Thanks for being so quick to be by my side, though! :wink: Nice to have such a loyal following! :))

DH and I have been listening to an audio book of The DaVinci Code. We're on the last section tonight! It's a fun book. I've gotten a lot of knitting done to it! Let's see: two pairs of Fuzzy Feet felted slippers, a knit square for a quilt my co-workers and I are making for a co-worker who's leaving; and now I'm on to a felted cat bed. Knitting and book-listening! What a combo!!! :)

What'cha working on, Flappy?

Amy