KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Favorite pattern books/mags? RESULT...GRRRRRR (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28925)

KellyK 03-04-2005 08:53 AM

Favorite pattern books/mags? RESULT...GRRRRRR

Im thinking about buying a knitting magazine subscription and/or starting a book collection. Anyone have any favorites to recommend for an advanced beginner?

ekgheiy 03-04-2005 11:59 AM

bump :D

KellyK 03-04-2005 12:22 PM

Thanks, EKG...I should say that I HAVE seen Amy's fav list....wanted extra opinions on those and more!

beldaraan 03-04-2005 12:47 PM

Rowan. Lana Grossa.

I do not have much experience going through mags, but Rowan is very chic. I have gone through a portion of their mags. They have ratings for the level of difficulty of the pattern. For Lana Grossa, I just love their website although I don't actually have a mag from them....yet. Their website is in German, but they have an English version as well. I'm thinking maybe a subscription for my birthday... :wink:

ekgheiy 03-04-2005 12:49 PM

Not a prob! ;)

I have a small assortment of books, but the only names I can remember are "Pullovers for Her" and "Our Best Knitted Baby Afghans", both by Leisure Arts. I know I have more though; just can't think of them :oops:

kimmie 03-04-2005 01:47 PM

Re: Favorite pattern books/mags?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK
Im thinking about buying a knitting magazine subscription and/or starting a book collection. Anyone have any favorites to recommend for an advanced beginner?

As far as books go, since tastes vary so widely, one of your best bets might be to go to your local library and look at all the knitting books to see what appeals to you. Along the same lines, if you browse through knitting books on amazon.com and find something you like, but your library doesn't have it, you can interlibrary loan it. That way, you can decide if you really, really want the book before you purchase it.

Personally, I find The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns to be wonderful because you can use whatever yarn you like as well as be creative.
kimmie

mascarasnake 03-04-2005 01:52 PM

ek

maybe I'm being thick, but Bump? Is that a name of a magazine or pattern book? or an inside joke I'm missing?

ekgheiy 03-04-2005 01:54 PM

Re: ek

Quote:

Originally Posted by mascarasnake
maybe I'm being thick, but Bump? Is that a name of a magazine or pattern book? or an inside joke I'm missing?

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

When you see "bump" in a post, the person is just moving the topic closer to the top of the forum list. ;)

javede 03-04-2005 02:03 PM

I like the Rebecca magazines. I only own two so far and I'm knitting my first wrap top out of it.
What I noticed was that someone who never knitted a piece of "uppergarment" before might have gotten into a bit of trouble. Eventhough it's labeled a easy, they didn't explained to add a new ball of yarn after binding of neck stitches! Well, I knew I had to, but a real beginner...
I also like the rowan ones, but they are a bit pricey for me at the moment.
The Filati magazines(Lana Grossa) are very good according to the lady of my LYS. I looked at one(the new one) and found atleast 6 things I would knit.

oshnpashn 03-04-2005 02:58 PM

Books: I have Urban Knitter and Knitting with Beads (not sure that's the complete title) both by Lily Chin and love them! Actually using a lace pattern from a sweater for a pillow! My friend has both the Stich N Bitch books, awesome. As far as mags go, I'm still not sure on that! Good luck!