KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Elizabeth Zimmerman (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28994)

feministmama 03-09-2005 01:50 PM

Elizabeth Zimmerman

Just saw this new book

http://www.knitpicks.com/Lobby.ASP?W...&prodType=Book

So what do we think of her? Love her? Hate her? Who is she and why do we care? discuss.

ekgheiy 03-09-2005 02:12 PM

Re: Elizabeth Zimmerman

Quote:

Originally Posted by feministmama
Just saw this new book

URL edit for space

So what do we think of her? Love her? Hate her? Who is she and why do we care? discuss.

I've heard of, but I don't actually know anything about her. :|

beldaraan 03-09-2005 02:23 PM

I love this woman's attitude!! I have only read, so far, her Knitter's Almanac, but plan to read the rest of her collection. Anyone read the part about the salt and pepper shakers? I loved reading that part.

Sara 03-09-2005 06:19 PM

We like her, we really like her

Coincidence? Karma? Went to my LYS today re: problem I have posted in this forum already. They loaned me a copy of Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop. This book is very clear in its directions, she gives a lot of basic info which she then tranlates into some really nifty stuff. I think I may have come across Knitting Without Tears early in my knitting attempt and thought she was rather curmudgeonly and her book not illustrated enough for a newbie, but now that I understand how everything is supposed to work, I am going to give her another chance. There are three PBS series listed in the book, I'll see if there are any videos available. With instructions like work in "rib until you're sick and tired of it," yeah she has major attitude, but it's a refreshing change. She really pushes you to innovate. She's worth a look.

Tutu Carol 06-09-2007 11:51 AM

Help! Ugly Sweater

My very first sweater was from Knitting w/o Tears. I knitted my brains out, got to the underarm area & actually did the Kirtchner Stitch w/o a hitch. I finished the sweater, tried giving it to my daughter, then my son (it was made of peruvian wool) ((very pretty yarn)); the sweater was just plain UGLY.

I have frogged the entire top & arms, I have about 15" left (on stitch holders). I am wondering if I can somehow re-do the yoke & arms using flat needles??

Any Idea's ??

Thanks so much!
Carol:pray:

MrsDavis3 06-09-2007 12:01 PM

EZ was an important knitter

If you can assimilate Zimmerman's "Percentage System" AKA "EPS" it can be very freeing. If you are the kind of person who gets an idea of her own and can't be easily put off it, and you knit, you owe it to yourself to learn her method. But if you go into a yarn store with something in mind and the clerk puts you onto a pattern and it's always okay with you, I would say you don't need it. But the EPS can liberate you from needing a pattern for everything.

She is an opinionated woman, as she admits by calling herself, "The Opinionated Knitter". To get a flavor for her personality, read "Knitting in the Round" or watch the DVD "Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Glossary", in which her daughter interviews her. Her daughter is Meg Swansen, an awesome knitter in her own right. EZ established Schoolhouse Press and M. Swansen runs it now.

Ingrid 06-09-2007 12:46 PM

I love reading EZ just for the stories.:shrug:

Jan in CA 06-09-2007 01:14 PM

Your link doesn't work and I don't see any new books. What is the name of it.

I've read Knitting Around and I really enjoyed it. The first time I tried I too though "too much text and what in the heck is she talking about!?", but after trying again I loved it. Her patterns are a bit hard to follow, but there is always help elsewhere.

GinnyG 06-09-2007 01:23 PM

I LOVE EZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She "inspires me!!! I cannot always follow her patterns but just reading her books gets me excited about knitting. I have learned many things about knitting just from reading.

losnana 06-09-2007 01:35 PM

I love her too. I have the Knitting Workshop and Knitting Without Tears, and have learned a lot from each of them. Her patterns are not up-to-date fshion, but more classical.