KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Keeping track of needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29111)

Hildegard_von_Knittin 03-19-2005 01:26 AM

Keeping track of needles

my LYS printed up new business cards, and on the back there's a chart to write down what needle sizes you have... i was like GENIUS! Now I'll never forget what size needles I need! (yes this was new to me, i'm a dork, i know) So i took it a step further and made a bigger version to put with my patterns and etc so I could tell right away if I had or didn't have something. SO, I thought I'd share, just to show you all that I'm not bad all the time. Since I can't upload (the .doc extension isn't allowed) PM me your email addy if you'd like it. I even put a pretty knitty clip art picture on it :-)

carollovesyarn 03-19-2005 03:34 AM

I pm'd you. :)

I also just started keeping a set of cards for projects I want to do, since I never know when I'll have the opportunity to buy yarn for these future projects. I write down the pattern name, the brand of yarn used, its gauge, yardage and composition, and colors I think I would make it in. I write these on old business cards left over from my prior jobs.

I also have cards for yarn that have no project attached to them. I have the yarn's info written on the card as well as a small amount of the yarn tied to it. I probably should keep a swatch with me since they look so different knitted up. This way if I happen to find myself in a yarn shop :lol: :lol: I can browse patterns with the yarn at hand.

Carol

bubba 03-19-2005 02:00 PM

The shop I go to down in Olympia also has those business cards. I thought they were quite clever! Now I just need to mark what I have, which isn't that much since I just started this habit a couple months ago.

pat.

MommaBear 03-19-2005 05:16 PM

Re: Keeping track of needles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
my LYS printed up new business cards, and on the back there's a chart to write down what needle sizes you have... i was like GENIUS! Now I'll never forget what size needles I need! (yes this was new to me, i'm a dork, i know) So i took it a step further and made a bigger version to put with my patterns and etc so I could tell right away if I had or didn't have something. SO, I thought I'd share, just to show you all that I'm not bad all the time. Since I can't upload (the .doc extension isn't allowed) PM me your email addy if you'd like it. I even put a pretty knitty clip art picture on it :-)

Someone e-mailed me a chart like this a month ago! I downloaded it, but have yet to fill it in!!!
It would be nice to get it in a business card size though, so it's something you could just have with you and carry around easily so you always know! LOL!!
Especially since I am an impulse buyer. I will walk into a store to buy things for one project, all organized with list in hand. But hten I'll see a book/pattern/priject I like and want to buy al the materials for that too! LOL!!!
I need to have a list in my purse so I don't buy the same needles more than once, or even twice ... and once, 3 times! Whoops! Good thing I save receipts to retunr things LOL!

Hildegard_von_Knittin 03-20-2005 12:32 AM

Yep, I thought the business cards were a good idea, too.. I found that I have 3 sets of size 4 dpns, and who knows why b/c I hate dpns! Now it's easy to consult the card in the LYS so I don't buy duplicates (or triplicates). I forgot to say this before, though: I transferred the needle chart to an overhead sheet. I keep them both in my binder, the paper one just to make sure I have everything, and on the overhead one I mark which needles are tied up in a project, or on loan to someone, or whatever... So when a pattern calls for size 10 16" circulars, I can see that yes I have them, but oops they are holding a mitten, so I can either put off the new project or buy a new pair.
Quote:

I also have cards for yarn that have no project attached to them. I have the yarn's info written on the card as well as a small amount of the yarn tied to it. I probably should keep a swatch with me since they look so different knitted up. This way if I happen to find myself in a yarn shop Laughing Laughing I can browse patterns with the yarn at hand.
I love this idea!!!! I'm going to do it too! Yay :cheering: carol!

brightspot 03-20-2005 03:05 AM

Thank you so much for the chart. My dd & I had fun filling it out last night.
I just finished making a needle holder so now I am all organized!

wildforyarn 03-20-2005 11:03 AM

Hi. I pm'd you this morning. I would love to have a chart like that. I can't keep track of what I have at all! :thinking:

feministmama 03-21-2005 02:05 AM

Just PM'd you saying ME TOO!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin 03-22-2005 12:05 AM

yay! i love making people happy!