KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   GAUGE ??? (Mock Granny Stitch) Pattern H-E-L-P! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29132)

KNITBIT 03-21-2005 07:48 PM

GAUGE ??? (Mock Granny Stitch) Pattern H-E-L-P!

Help someone.. :shock:

I can't seem to get this dumb gauge to work out correctly... :wall:

--------------------

GAUGE

12 sts + 16 rows = 4 [10 cm] in Mock Granny st.

--------------------

Mock Granny Stitch Pattern (multiple of 4 sts + 2)

Row 1 (WS) K2tog, k to last 2 sts, k2tog 2 sts decreased.
Row 2 Repeat Row 1 2 sts decreased.
Row 3 P 1, *p2tog, yo, p2tog; repeat from * to last st, p 1 1 st decreased in each repeat.
Row 4 K 1, *k 1, (k 1, p 1) in yo, k 1; repeat from * to last st, k 1 1 st increased in each repeat.

Repeat Rows 1-4 for Mock Granny Stitch pattern.

-------------------

STITCH EXPLANATION

(K 1, p 1) in yo Knit into yo from previous row, but do not drop yo from needle. Bring yarn to front and purl into same yo. Drop yo from needle.

-----------------------

I casted on 12 sts like it says in the GAUGE instructions. Then when I get to the 3rd row of the Mock Granny Stitch pattern I come up short of enough stitches to work with. :??

SO.........Then I read up in my "Knitting for Dummies" bk. Which says about reading patterns, etc. Neway....then I was like.."Oh..ok..hmm :idea: " I reread the Mock Granny Stitch pattern and noticed next to it ..it says (multiple of 4 sts + 2) Ok..so then I added 4+2=6...so 12 sts to cast on + 6 = 18. OK 18. So I casted on 18 and I thought all was well. When I got to the 4th row in the Mock Granny Pattern I was supposed to do the (k1, p1) in yo...and I wasn't going to get to the yo for 2 more stitches. GRRR! So..now what?!?!?!? :evil:

Should I add on 6 more for a total of 24 sts to cast on???? :?? Any ideas??? Tips?

KNITBIT :frog: (hopefully no more frogging) :crying:

Hildegard_von_Knittin 03-22-2005 12:30 AM

Hmmmmmm.........

The 12 stitches in the gauge swatch doesn't mean to cast on 12 stitches... it means that if you mark 1 stitch, and the 12th stitch after it, and 16 rows you will have a 4 inch square. Generally whatever the gauge swatch is, I add some stitches and some rows to get a realistic measurement. (so I might cast on 20 stitches and knit 20 rows, but only measure 12 stitches by 16 rows).

I was thinking that it didn't work because you cast on 12, and then decided to add 6 for fun (but I get it now).... Anyway, regardless of how you ended up with 18 stitches cast on, it should work, because 18 is a multiple of 4 (16) plus 2.... so I think I'll (or somene) will have to work a swatch for you.... It should work with 10, 14, 18, 22 etc cast on stitches..... :??

KNITBIT 03-22-2005 01:27 AM

Thx so much for all your input Hildegard!!!!!! :cheering: Very valuable info.! Made alot of sense. Ugh...I was all clueless :doh:

I'm all hyped up now LOL gonna go work another swatch. Gonna try 22 sts. this time. Wish me luck!

Thanks again Hildegard!! :notworthy:

KNITBIT :XX: <----working on NEW and "hopefully" improved swatch!

KNITBIT 03-22-2005 02:53 AM

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Thanks Hildegard!!!!! :thumbsup: I think maybe I wasn't paying attention to all the p2tog, yo, p2tog repeats...must've messed up somewhere in there. I payed closer attention this time ..and well....everythings ok now. WHEW! ;)

KNITBIT :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin 03-22-2005 08:45 PM

good! glad it worked (=