KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   changing a sock pattern (size-wise) HELP! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29282)

VictoiseC 04-03-2005 01:34 PM

changing a sock pattern (size-wise) HELP!

Hi! Hm, am I remembering correctly or ... did Amy once talk about resizing socks? And, where is that SUPER MATH PERSON that helped me before!????

Ok, I want to make the socks a little smaller. I'm using the first sock pattern, a beginners sock, in that sock book that looks like a sock.
Uses 5 needles.
It's a cast on of 48 stitches, 12 on each of 4 needles, the heel flap is worked on 24 stitches.

Soooooo, these socks were way big & I had to give them to my dh or felt them down. So I gave them to him.

Now, if I do 44 stitches, 11 on each, then I do the heel flap at 22 stitches. Does that sound ok?

the gauge is 24 sts = 4" so I'll reduce them about 3/4"
heh heh, I'm trying to get mathy here myself.

Or I could do 40 st cast on but that would reduce them quite a lot.
Well, 1 and something inches. ! 1 1/4
Then a 20 st heel flap.

What do you think! :??

salsa 04-03-2005 07:19 PM

Hi Victoise,

If you take a tape measure and measure around your foot at its widest part (up towards your toes), what is the measurement? (Make sure to pull the tape measure really tight around the wide part of your foot when you are measuring).

When you have that measurement, multiply it by your gauge (6 stitches/inch) and that will give you the number of stitches to cast on.

Eg if your foot circumference measurement was 7.5 inches:

Number of stitches to cast on= 7.5 x 6 = 45 stitches (you would adjust this number to 44 for k2p2 ribbing, and if you wanted the sock tighter still, you could reduce down to 40 stitches for the cast-on).

Tip: When you start your sock cuffs, use needles 1 size up for the first inch or so, and then switch down to the needles you swatched with to continue the cuff and the rest of the sock.

For the heel flap, it's generally 1/2 the total number of cast-on stitches (so yes, for 44 stitches total, you would reserve 22 for the flap and for 40 stitches total, you would reserve 20 stitches for the heel flap).

Hope it helps.

VictoiseC 04-03-2005 10:02 PM

wow, thanks

Salsa, Thank you so much! thats really great info.

I just know this is got to be easy once you get it!

I will print out your instructions and try to do it .

Thank you again.

VictoiseC 04-03-2005 10:04 PM

wow

It sounds so easy but is so intimidating!

I've just got to learn this.

beldaraan 04-03-2005 10:09 PM

I'm going to do this too. I'll try it on my son's little feet first though. Nice math work Salsa!!

salsa 04-04-2005 05:10 AM

Beldy, I have used this measurement to work out the number of stitches to cast-on to make socks for my 2yo niece too, and the socks fitted just fine so the measurement works for little feet too! :thumbsup:

And Victoise, please don't be intimidated!

beldaraan 04-04-2005 01:38 PM

Vic~

When I finish a sock for my hubby, I'm going to see if I have enough yarn leftover to make a matching one for my son. We can do this together, since I'm almost finished the first sock.

I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list soon if you don't stop inspiring me ;)

VictoiseC 04-04-2005 06:53 PM

socks rock!

Well Beldy, I'm glad I'm influencing SOMEONE! :D

Socks are unbelievable. I knit my first pair as I must have stated 100 times and shown the picture of...

but they were too big for me! :( So my dh grabbed them before I could felt them and fell in love with them. Granted, they are Peace Fleece Shaba green, so thick and warm which we need where we are.

I can't wait to have my own, by I'm confused and trying to figure out if I should be taking the plunge towards a sweater, afghan or Martha's poncho. hmmmmmmmmmmm :??

I think your boys will enjoy those socks! (did you know you can wear wool socks in the summer and supposedly they are not too hot?) (got to try that one)

Hildegard_von_Knittin 04-04-2005 08:12 PM

socks are evil. especially mark's socks. :mad:

beldaraan 04-04-2005 10:35 PM

I would recommend making something with your white slubby yarn. I really want to see what you make with it :inlove: I'm also a wee bit impatient, so the sooner you work with your slubby, the sooner I can see the finished results.

As for wearing wool in the summer, I have heard that from several sources. It's incredible for temperature variances, but it makes sense. Those sheep are just mammals and they would surely collapse from over-heating if the wool didn't have some way to release heat. I can't wait to make a wool sweater to test out that theory.