KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mitered Squares (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29295)

DotMom61 04-04-2005 01:53 PM

Mitered Squares

Well, I'm stumped. I've been wanting to tackle the rug on the cover of this book. It is constructed of mitered squares.

First of all, the math of the pattern doesn't seem to work out. Here are the instructions that are stumping me:

CO 55
Worked double-decrease pattern:

Row 1 (RS): k26 st, sl2, k1, p2sso, k26

and then you knit all stitches on the even rows.

So, here's the dilemma: When you knit the first 26 stitches, slip the next two, knit one and pass the slipped stitches over, you end up with *24* stitches left to knit, not 26. Or at least I do. According to Amy's video on cdd (Centered Double Decrease), I'm doing this correctly. Why doesn't the math work out??

Also, when you get to the final 3 stitches, what do you do? According to the pattern instructions, I'm supposed to knit 1 on this row, slip 2, but then what? There's not another knit to stitch & then pass the slipped stitches over.

I knit up a couple of mini examples of this pattern casting on an odd number of stitches. In both cases, I ended up w/more of a rectangle than a square, and the mitre started out at the corner, but ended up about two stitches to the left of the opposite corner.

Is any of this making sense?

DotMom61 04-04-2005 02:05 PM

:oops: Well, I just answered my own question ... at least one of them. When I was knitting up my sample squares, I forgot to subtract the 3 "middle stitches" (sl2, k1, p2sso) before I divided by 2 to figure out how many to knit before I slipped.

:notworthy: My apologies to Donna Druchunas for doubting her math.

However, I still haven't figured out the question about the final 3 stitches.

Perhaps I'll try again. :frog:

KellyK 04-04-2005 03:50 PM

Hey, Julie! How do you like that book? Are there any loopy bath rugs in it? If so, Do you have a way to scan or take a pic & pm me with it? Ive been trying to decide whether or not to buy that book from Amazon, but I REALLY WISH they would let you see pics of all the patterns. NONE of my local book stores have it in stock....etc etc etc blah blah blah!

Mer 04-04-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK
Hey, Julie! How do you like that book? Are there any loopy bath rugs in it? If so, Do you have a way to scan or take a pic & pm me with it? Ive been trying to decide whether or not to buy that book from Amazon, but I REALLY WISH they would let you see pics of all the patterns. NONE of my local book stores have it in stock....etc etc etc blah blah blah!

Hey KellyK, take a look at the first few reviews on Amazon...looks like they do have bath rugs. No pics though, of course.

Sorry I can't help with your question, DotMom61. That does look like a cool book though!

DotMom61 04-04-2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Hi Kelly ...

As a matter of fact, I do seem to remember that there is a loopy bath rug in there. I wish I had the book to share with you, but I got it from the library (I was the first one to check it out!! :cheering:), and I had to take it back.

I've considered buying it from Amazon, too, and I noticed earlier today that it's now available in paperback for only $10.17. I liked it a lot. Not only does it have some good patterns in it, but it also gives good directions for finishing the rugs -- lining, backing, etc.

KellyK 04-04-2005 07:47 PM

AWESOME! That I can afford!

Hildegard_von_Knittin 04-04-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

sheesh KK way to make this all about your needs!!!!!!! :rollseyes: j/k j/k j/k !! :heart: muah :heart:
I just ordered the book, so when i get it I *might* be able to lend it to you, since we're so close and all.

Dot Mom, how many stitches do you have initially? I'm having a hard time visualizing...

KellyK 04-04-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
I just ordered the book, so when i get it I *might* be able to lend it to you, since we're so close and all.

What, Hilde? :?? I.....I dont understand what you are trying to say....there's no ME in there!
:mad: ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!! :mad:

Hildegard_von_Knittin 04-04-2005 08:25 PM

LOL. u cwazy

DotMom61 04-04-2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
Dot Mom, how many stitches do you have initially? I'm having a hard time visualizing...

Oh, well, hmmm ... I did it like 5 times and each time I cast on a different number of stitches. Eventually, I think I cast on about 19. Then, I subtracted 3 for sl2, k1, p2sso in the middle. That left me w/ 16, which I divided by 2. So, I k8, sl2, k1, p2sso, k8. Got it?

And, amazingly enough, when I got down to the last 3 stitches on the LH needle, all I had to do was sl2, k1, p2sso, and I had one stitch left for fastening off. It's just incredible what can happen when you follow directions. :rollseyes:

I was going to take a picture of the little square I eventually ended up with, but my daughter saw it when it was done, and she thought it was so cool that it should belong to her.

I think I can tackle the project now, though!

Well, I guess I ought to close this note out so that Kelly can have a chance to say something!

(hee ha ha ... snicker ... snort) :rofling: I'm so funny