KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   **photo added** OK I am lost (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29339)

Nuno930 04-06-2005 09:29 PM

**photo added** OK I am lost

Help! This is the Turkish bag KellyK posted...

Bottom of bag

Cast on 15 stitches and, working back and forth on the circular needle, knit 32 rows, making a garter stitch square with 16 ridges on each side.
--Ok, I am pretty sure I got that, though the 16 ridges is a little wonky

Continuing from the corner where the final row finishes, pick up and knit 15 stitches along each of the other three sides of the square (total 60 stitches).
-- I don't get that. Can someone translate that to English for me :oops:

Place a marker; this will be the beginning of the round for the body of the bag.
-- Ok, I got that too!

Double the stitch count by working (YO, K1) around (120 sts).
-- That seem simple enough

Hildegard_von_Knittin 04-06-2005 09:37 PM

on the bottom you should have 16 ridges that look like overlapping smileys and frownys... Start at one corner of the bag, and stick your needle inbetween the first 2 ridges; then wrap the yarn around, and draw it through... tada! One picked up stitch! (pick up and knit = just pick up a stich). Do that inbetween all the ridges on that side, working towards the left, and then do the same for all the other sides too. After you've picked up all your stitches, place the marker, and then count the stitches. If you have 60, YAY!!!!! if not, my un-orthodox method (which is okay for bags, but not with garments) is just to knit 1 round increasing or decreasing evenly (as necessary) until I end up with the right about of stitches. Then I don't count that "extra" round I just did, and begin the body of the bag. Hope it works!

Nuno930 04-06-2005 11:00 PM

Ok, so basically what i am going to do is take that flat piece of work and make it into a round piece... is that correct? :??

Nuno930 04-06-2005 11:43 PM

Well that didn't work :( I am just not understanding where to pick up the thread from. I am trying to pick them up from the edge right now (or at least I think) I watched Amy's video several several times ... but I still can't see it :(

Nuno930 04-07-2005 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping someone who know what they are doing (and has a photo software) can show me where to insert needles :oops: Sorry it is blurry, but it should work.

perced 04-07-2005 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is where I pick up stitches. I go under both sides of loop.

Julie 04-07-2005 04:36 PM

Nik, to clarify, you are putting your needle through, front to back, where the arrows are, then wrap the WORKING YARN around the needle and pull it through. I didn't quite get that the first time I did it either.

Good luck...hope the :wall: is over soon!! :D

KellyK 04-07-2005 07:59 PM

And, you are going to stick your needle BETWEEN the sts....not through a part of one sts loop.

Nuno930 04-07-2005 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, does this look like I am doing it right?

KellyK 04-07-2005 09:23 PM

YES!