KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   DPN's - hole at cast on edge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29451)

agileflower 04-15-2005 01:48 PM

DPN's - hole at cast on edge

I have been learning to use DPNs...and I have read that knitting the first two and last stitches on the neelde can prevent laddering. So does slipping the first stitch from one needle to the next....however, using either of these (or both!) I still get a hole right down at the cast on edge.
I just saw a video online on slipping the first stitch (that would be knitted, I guess the last cast on stitch) onto the other needle, and then slipping what WAS the first stitch on that needle over it so that it is on top. but when I do that-I end up with 1 less stitch than I 'm supposed to. Help?
Any other tips for learning DPNs is greatly appreciated! I am just practicing like mad with a spare ball of the yarn I Hope to do Cleaves with :)

foldedbird 04-15-2005 05:03 PM

First, have you watched Amy's video on knitting in the round? You can find ithere.

I do it like Amy does, and I also make sure that I pull my working yarn tightly when I do the first stitch on EACH needle.

There's lots of good information about DPN's in Amys video. I reccomend watching it before you go any further.

If you still need help, give me a holler. I *think* I've got the hang of at least CO, k, p, and ribbing on DPN's. [/url]

agileflower 04-16-2005 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foldedbird

There's lots of good information about DPN's in Amys video. I reccomend watching it before you go any further.

I learned everything I know about knitting PERIOD by watching those videos. I tell ya, they were a lifesaver! Just even 'simple things' like 'gee, my friend said my stitch was twisted, what does that mean and how do I know?'. Anyway, I could rave about the vids all day long but the bottm line was yeah I watched them and the ones at knittingatnoon.com too....but I still get a pesky spot! Maybe I just need to keep practicing!

Another thing I thought was perhaps I should just do ss on this whole darned ball of yarn for practice and get a new one for the project. We move from here in a few days so I can get it now while the gettin's good :)

I am having a hard time getting my guage too but I think my measuring might be faulty because the little 'tube' I am making is the same size (same no of cast on stitches, 24) as my pattern calls for and it's not possible to flatten it for a span of 4 inches....

carollovesyarn 04-17-2005 03:20 AM

Try casting on an extra stitch, then you are free to k2tog to hopefully eliminate this hole/loose spot.

Carol

roxyquiksilver34 04-20-2005 09:06 PM

I find that if I knit-transfer 3 or 4 stitches very tightly each round to the next needle it eliminates holes and loose, ladder-y looking areas.
OR -
you can use a dpn that is one size smaller on the area that has the cast-on edge starting stitch - according to something I read in one of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books (can't remember which one -sorry) it will not adversely affect overall gauge if you knit with 1 smaller DPN. I did that with my current project Cleaves on the sleeves and it looks pretty darn good :D

Carol had a good tip too - that will work for particularly large areas as well. Don't worry - your hole-y areas/laddering diminish over time as you get more proficient with your dpns.

agileflower 04-21-2005 01:17 AM

[quote="roxyquiksilver34"

Carol had a good tip too - that will work for particularly large areas as well. Don't worry - your hole-y areas/laddering diminish over time as you get more proficient with your dpns.[/quote]

Yeah <sigh>. I have been transferring stitches snugly back/forth between needles. I realized after a while that it was better to (if doing the 2x2 ribbing part of cleaves) do two stitches at a time so the ribs stayed consistent looking. For some reason even if I did them tightly, if I xferred only 1 at a time, I could tell. So far it doesnt' look too shabby ac ouple of loose stitches I have to tighten up. My guage is a little wonky, off about 1/4-1/2 stitch (!!!) but since The sleeve fits and it's slouchy like I want it, I am going to keep going and just keep it in mind esp. as I do the cowl as it might turn out a bit bigger than intended if I don't 'get it together' by then. If it all turns out to be a disaser, I got some VERY valuable experience:
1. I learned a couple new cast on methods.
2. I learned how to use DPNs! (they are not nearly so scary once you get them in hand and see how it all works...)
3. I learned how to do and measure a guage swatch-and change needles and try try again :)
4. I learned how to unknit quite quickly ;)
5. I learned how satisfying it is to be creating something I can wear!!!!! (first garment woo hoo!)

and much more ;)
on that note, the movers are here so gotta get dressed !