KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   At a loss (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29464)

trouper 04-16-2005 03:11 AM

At a loss

HELP...I'm making a purse for an auction and have reached a point where the instructions make no sense to me (I took the pattern to a local yarn/weaving store and they were equally puzzled which made me feel better but didn't help much!). Here are the directions for making the handles: on one side you make a 15 Inch I-cord, for the other side of the handle the instructions say to make about 2 inches of I-cord, leave the stitches on the needle and weave the two I-cords together. I am totally puzzled as to how to do this. I really don't care at this point if the answer is so obvious that I should be embarassed not to have figured it out....I just want to finish the blasted thing!

Nancy

JessicaSant 04-16-2005 10:55 AM

If you have stitches on a needle from both ends of the i-cord, could you use a three-needle bind off to join them together? Amy has a video on the bottom of her bind-off videos page.

There's also the Kitchener stitch on the bottom of the advanced techniques page.

hopefully one of those will work!!

trouper 04-16-2005 12:03 PM

Actually, the longer of the two I-cords has been bound off and has a 12" tail. Only one needle (on the 2 inch cord) has stitches still on the needle. I was thinking that I could somehow knit the two together using the active yarn on the short side and the tail from the bound off side...Does this semm workable?

metalsgirl 04-16-2005 12:28 PM

I just made this purse - I too was puzzled, what I ended up doing was not binding off the longer end like they said to and instead did a three needle bind off (my first) - I am in the middle of the felting process now and it does not appear to be too noticeable (and I also figure that it has got to be stronger than just randomly "weaving" in ends)

metalsgirl 04-16-2005 12:28 PM

I just made this purse - I too was puzzled, what I ended up doing was not binding off the longer end like they said to and instead did a three needle bind off (my first) - I am in the middle of the felting process now and it does not appear to be too noticeable (and I also figure that it has got to be stronger than just randomly "weaving" in ends)

VictoiseC 04-16-2005 12:53 PM

Ha, I see this I cord thing is just as puzzling as I first suspected!

:shock:

Well, I will be very interested to know what you did. I'm in the middle of kntting my first I cord directly attached to the bag but I haven't been working with a pattern. I thought I'd just keep going til it's long enough then somehow attach it on the other side. Like figure it out when I get there. So, this is interesting....

Did you figure it out yet? It sometimes help to go to KNitting Pattern Central and look at a lot of bags and what they did....

trouper 04-16-2005 12:59 PM

THANK YOU TO BOTH OF YOU WHO RESPONDED,ICAN'T BELIEVE THAT I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO FIND SOMEONE WHO HAD MADE THE SAME BAG. I WILL TRY THE 3-NEEDLE BIND-OFF AND PRAY IT WORKS! ALSO, VERY GLAD FOR THE REFERENCE TO KNITTINGPATTERNS CENTRAL.
I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.