KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First Hat Attempt--Help Please (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29928)

foothills 05-13-2005 06:48 PM

First Hat Attempt--Help Please
 
I have a pattern for a hat using Plymouth Yukon yarn that I wanted to knit prior to attempting the "Kelly Hat" :lol: In the photo, the hat appears to be rib stitch, but the pattern reads to cast on 42 stitches, place marker and knit in the round until 6 1/2 yards are left. So, my question is THIS...do I just knit in the round or do I knit a round and purl a round until 6 1/2 yards are left?

I'll go ahead and ask my next question because although I haven't arrived there yet, I know they are coming :roflhard: The pattern tells me to then begin decreasing on round 1-6 (I'm assuming from where I ended?) and change to double pointed needles as needed...how do I know when they are needed? :?

Joyce

ekgheiy 05-13-2005 07:04 PM

Re: First Hat Attempt--Help Please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothills
I have a pattern for a hat using Plymouth Yukon yarn that I wanted to knit prior to attempting the "Kelly Hat" :lol: In the photo, the hat appears to be rib stitch, but the pattern reads to cast on 42 stitches, place marker and knit in the round until 6 1/2 yards are left. So, my question is THIS...do I just knit in the round or do I knit a round and purl a round until 6 1/2 yards are left?

I'll go ahead and ask my next question because although I haven't arrived there yet, I know they are coming :roflhard: The pattern tells me to then begin decreasing on round 1-6 (I'm assuming from where I ended?) and change to double pointed needles as needed...how do I know when they are needed? :?

Joyce

If the pattern says to just knit all rounds, then hat is in stockinette stitch. If you knit one round and purl one round, then you'll end up with garter stitch. So if the picture really looks like ribbed, then I'd venture to guess that the picture and the pattern are not meant for each other.

You'll want to switch to double point when the stitches are over stretched on the circs. Trust me, you'll know when the time comes because it will become increasingly difficult to knit w/ the circs. :shock:

;)

foothills 05-13-2005 07:37 PM

My lys owner gave the pattern to me and both pages have the same pattern number on it although it sure looks ribbed to me :shock: Maybe I can tell more once I start on it. If you were to do a rib on circulars though...how would you do the rib? Many thanks for your expertise :)

ekgheiy 05-13-2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothills
My lys owner gave the pattern to me and both pages have the same pattern number on it although it sure looks ribbed to me :shock: Maybe I can tell more once I start on it. If you were to do a rib on circulars though...how would you do the rib? Many thanks for your expertise :)

Expertise?? :?? HAHA ... Aw shucks ... :oops: :blush:

Anyhoo .... to do a rib, you would alternate knits and purls within the same row as with K2, P2 ... knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as you come to them. For example, if you were knitting 12 sts in the round, just do a continual K2 P2 around the whole circle. I think that would give you a rib. ;)

foothills 05-13-2005 08:16 PM

I think I understand....I'll stick to the pattern directions for this particular hat...since it is my first one and see how it ends up...hopefully, it will look like a hat :rofl: I'm not quite brave enough to venture beyond directions just yet ;)

ekgheiy 05-13-2005 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothills
I think I understand....I'll stick to the pattern directions for this particular hat...since it is my first one and see how it ends up...hopefully, it will look like a hat :rofl: I'm not quite brave enough to venture beyond directions just yet ;)

I know what ya mean ;) Let us know how it turns out ...

feministmama 05-14-2005 12:10 AM

Ya know I made a hat in plymouth Yukon. Its a verigated color. I used the hat in Hip to Knit. One for me and one for my kid. When we wear them together everyone stops us on the street to compliment us. It is not knit in the rond. It is back and forth on straight and it has 4 cables. IT's very easy and the bulky size knits it up fast. I'll see if I can dig up a picture

Rennagayle 05-14-2005 12:30 AM

feministmama, I'd love to see it! :D

foothills 05-14-2005 06:58 AM

Yukon is a beautiful bulky yarn or at least, I thought it would turn out a pretty hat. I like the idea of cables with it, but haven't ventured to cables just yet...maybe after the "Kelly Hat" :lol: I'd love to see the picture!

Joyce

KellyK 05-14-2005 07:08 AM

Joyce, can you link to a pic of the hat pattern you are making?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 AM.


copyright knittinghelp.com