KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   SOS the edges rolled on my dishcloth (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29995)

PurlyGyrl 05-18-2005 12:48 PM

SOS the edges rolled on my dishcloth

I completed a really cute dishcloth last night--its a cat paw print on background of stockinette. Beginning and end of each row has 3 knit stitches to form a kind of selvage edge. I used cotton yarn and size 8 needles. And dang it, the darn thing rolls up at the side edges. :mad: Bottom edges are o.k.-4 rows of garter stitch. Did I do something wrong? Maybe its suppose to do that? :rollseyes: Any thoughts?

Happy Knitting
Purly
a/k/a Denise

ekgheiy 05-18-2005 01:01 PM

Re: SOS the edges rolled on my dishcloth

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurlyGyrl
I completed a really cute dishcloth last night--its a cat paw print on background of stockinette. Beginning and end of each row has 3 knit stitches to form a kind of selvage edge. I used cotton yarn and size 8 needles. And dang it, the darn thing rolls up at the side edges. :mad: Bottom edges are o.k.-4 rows of garter stitch. Did I do something wrong? Maybe its suppose to do that? :rollseyes: Any thoughts?

Happy Knitting
Purly
a/k/a Denise

Hmmm :thinking:
I can think of only two reasons. 1. A three st border wasn't enough considering the size of the cloth. 2. Do you knit really tightly?? :??

MrsBear87 05-18-2005 01:23 PM

Rolled Edges

You might try crocheting an edging. That sometimes helps.

PurlyGyrl 05-18-2005 02:01 PM

ekgheiy: Yep, I'm a tight knitter :( --I have problems with my tension but its getting better-practice, practice, practice (I'm also highly strung, but that's another story for another day-hehehehe :D)

Mrs. Bear87: :idea: Great idea. My mother is a crocheting pro-I'll ask her to edge it for me. Thanks!

Happy Knitting!
Purly
a/k/a Denise

Sara 05-18-2005 02:29 PM

Stockinette rolls, garter stitch doesn't. An edging should help clear that up.

KellyK 05-18-2005 04:10 PM

Did you knit on both R AND W sides? The edges DO need to be garter...

amy 05-18-2005 11:47 PM

Sometimes even a garter edge is not enough to *control the eeeevil curling tendency of stockinette* (spooky dramatic music goes along with that)

Unless it's an extra small dishcloth, or an extra generous garter border, you may find it just wants to curl no matter what. :rollseyes: But then...it's a dishcloth, so it doesn't really need to lay perfectly flat does it? Just be glad it's not a scarf! ;)

PurlyGyrl 05-19-2005 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Every row, wrong and right sides, have the 3 knit stitches. Maybe if I increased the knit stitches to 6 at each edge that would help. :thinking: I think I just knit too tightly. Note to self: Repeat after me Denise--RELAX, Relax, relax! :pray:

I have started another one and am trying to pay much more attention to tension. So far so good--except I have to do a little frogging :frog: --messed up about 5 rows in and didn't notice it until I put on about 5 more rows :doh: I should not try to knit with a pattern after a hard day at the office. I should stick with something simple like my ongoing 8-mile scarf!

Hey, Amy! Is there a chant, a curse, a spell, a hex, a prayer or something that can ward off the EVIL CURLING STOCKINETTE :twisted: ? Do we need to hold hands and sing?:angelgrin:

SimplyKaar 05-19-2005 10:30 AM

This is just sideways related to the original question here, but I'm confused about that exactly a dishcloth is?
Up untill very recently I've thought it was something like an oven mitten but then used to lift hot covers from your pans or to pick hot pots&pans from the stove, things like that. They look the right size for it aswell.
But then I ran accross the word "potholder" which fits much better for that last description.
Sooo; now I've decided that the potholder is what I was really thinking about and a dishcloth must be something else afterall...

Pff, every time I think I know plenty in English I come across something else ;)

/Karen.

Oh and Denise: keep breathing in and out is a good way to tackle any problem :D
Good luck on this second one; I hope it won't curl up (as much) as the first one :)

ekgheiy 05-19-2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyKaar
This is just sideways related to the original question here, but I'm confused about that exactly a dishcloth is?...

It's a cloth that some people use to clean their dishes. It's sometimes the same size or smaller than a wash cloth (facial), but is generally not as thick as a wash cloth.

Some people use a sponge to clean dishes, some people use a dish cloth. And there are others who use .... THE DISH WASHING MACHINE.!! :rofling: