KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Joining Stitches when working on circular needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30018)

DrAgOnFLiZ79 05-19-2005 11:12 PM

Joining Stitches when working on circular needles

I am new at knitting. I am trying to make a pocket book. Anyway I needed to cast-on 90 stitches on a round needle and then join them together. I watched the video on this site. But when I tried joining them everytime I made a complete circle and got back to that point you could totally tell that is where I was trying to join them and it wasn't tight, it was
rather lose. I'm not sure I am making any sense. . . .
The question is how do you join them together to make it look right and part of the pattern and the seam to be sturdy.

Thanks,

Much Help Needed!!!!!!!

knitqueen 05-19-2005 11:20 PM

Just to make sure, you're starting with the working yarn on your RIGHT needle, correct?? What's worked for me is to make sure I give a good tightening tug to the first TWO stitches. Tightening the second stitch more than you usually would will tighten the first one too.

DrAgOnFLiZ79 05-20-2005 12:20 AM

yes, I am starting with the working yarn on your RIGHT needle. Thanks I will try again. Maybe I just need to tug tighter the first few

KellyK 05-20-2005 07:24 AM

That looseness will work itself out a bit as you continue to knit your rounds.

This is just another one of those things that requires practice & developing your own knitting style...

ekgheiy 05-20-2005 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK
That looseness will work itself out a bit as you continue to knit your rounds.

This is just another one of those things that requires practice & developing your own knitting style...

I concur! :D It's a matter of fine-tuning your tension. :XX:

feministmama 05-20-2005 11:48 AM

Ya know I picked up this little tip from the Knitting Christmas stockings book (ya know that book that looks like a sock? Check it out of the library) Anyway she says whe you've got all your stiches cast on, the working yarn on the right needle, then with the right needle slip the first stich of the left hand needle onto the right hand needle then pick up the next stich off the right hand hand with the left needle over that first one you slipped. SO basically you're just swaping stiches. Get it? I use this meethod when working in the round and it works very well. Good luck.

ekgheiy 05-20-2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feministmama
Ya know I picked up this little tip from the Knitting Christmas stockings book (ya know that book that looks like a sock? Check it out of the library) Anyway she says whe you've got all your stiches cast on, the working yarn on the right needle, then with the right needle slip the first stich of the left hand needle onto the right hand needle then pick up the next stich off the right hand hand with the left needle over that first one you slipped. SO basically you're just swaping stiches. Get it? I use this meethod when working in the round and it works very well. Good luck.

Mm :thinking: I don't get it :?? :oops:

knitqueen 05-20-2005 04:09 PM

Basically I think you're taking the first stitch from the left needle and putting it on the right needle, and taking the first stitch from the right needle (not the one you just slipped) and slipping it over onto the left needle. That would then essentially be your 'join', and away you go.

ekgheiy 05-20-2005 04:39 PM

@knitqueen - Like a BO? :?? Or like a cable?

Jivewhistle 05-20-2005 04:45 PM

I'm in the same predicament too...I'm started a purse and its going to be striped. I definately don't want any jogs.