KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need help, please (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30028)

Lane_Black 05-20-2005 09:30 PM

Need help, please

Hi everyone...
I'm a newbie..I just started knitting 3 days ago and i've been trying to make a scarf for a costume and someone said that it is "double-thick, so there's no distracting wrong side", but i donīt know how to do that..can anyone help me, please?

Thank you.

Sara 05-20-2005 09:43 PM

I have the yarn on order for a Ravenclaw Harry Potter. The reason that it's "double thick" is that it is done on a circular needle, then laid flat and stitched shut at the ends. So you would need to cultivate the skill to use a circular needle, change colors and do the three needle bind off in order to do the Prisoner of Azkaban scarf. All of this is possible if you feel up to it, and you can find the videos on this site to help you.

When does this scarf need to be finished? For the book launch?

ekgheiy 05-20-2005 09:45 PM

Re: Need help, please

Well ... you could do double knitting. Or you could knit two strips and seam them together. Or you could also make one big strip and fold it in half, seam the edges. If you knit one big piece and fold it, you may have to block it to keep flat.

Hope that helps :??

KellyK 05-20-2005 10:01 PM

I think circular knitting will be the easiest of your options...there are GREAT videos on the Advanced Techniques page.

Sara 05-21-2005 12:09 AM

The pattern you list from Atypically Knit is done on a circular needle. I think it might be easier to try than knitting flat. If you knit on straight needles, you have to alternate rows of knit and purl and then you have to seam all the edges. If you knit it circular, you only have to do the knit stitch.

If you have a local yarn store (not a chain store like Michael's) or a knitting group in your area, you might find someone there to help you get started. Print out the pattern and take it with you.

I've been planning to make one of these for six months. It took me forever to find the yarn I wanted, and now half of it's backordered. Sometimes I can't win. :lol:

Lane_Black 05-21-2005 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your help...I really appreciate it...
And I'm planing to do it for the Movie launch in November, Sara...So I think I have time to learn it :D.
Again, thank you very much for your help. :)

Sara 05-21-2005 11:00 AM

Phew! *Sara wipes sweat off her brow* I didn't want to be too encouraging, if you thought you would get this done in a month. But that's great news! I think you can do it. The most difficult part will be the very first row, the rest will be gravy. Keep us posted on how you're doing. If my darn yarn would come in, we could do a Harry Potter knit-along.

KellyK 05-21-2005 11:11 AM

Month-Schmonth! You'll get it done, NO PROBLEM!!! :thumbsup:

Lane_Black 05-23-2005 04:39 PM

I just bought my Circular Needle :happydance: i'm so excited :D... It can be any cast-on right?

:XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

Sara 05-23-2005 07:27 PM

Yep, you can cast on any way you like.

What yarn are you using? I ordered the Unger Utopia for my daughter's HP scarf. I just bought some Plymouth Encore for a shrug for her Confirmation outfit. I really love the feel of the Encore, it is deliciously soft.