KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I confess-I've not gauged! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30094)

Rennagayle 05-26-2005 10:00 AM

I confess-I've not gauged!

So far, I've only made scarves, a hat, and a partial pair of socks. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never done a guage swatch. :blush: Since I was mostly warming up to learning to knitting, I wasn't overly concerned with it. Now, I'm ready to start tackling projects that will be gift worthy, and I want to know they'll fit if they're hats or socks, and that I won't run out of yarn.

Could someone please explain it to me, exactly how it works? For instance, the Roll Brim Hat pattern says:
Quote:

Gauge:
4.5 sts=1"
What do I do with that? :shock:

brendajos 05-26-2005 10:06 AM

psssssssst....me neither...i would prolly save a lot of money on yarn if i would gauge instead of automatically buying two of everything...lol. BUT it takes me so long to stitch 4x4 do i really just wanna start over at that point?...lol

so anyway...yeah how do you do that!

KellyK 05-26-2005 10:07 AM

Knit a square that is 5" x 5" and measure the middle....you want to have 18 sts in a 4" space. OR, knit something smaller and measure a 1" space & hope for 4 1/2 sts. Change needle size up or down as necessary.

Norman 05-26-2005 10:12 AM

Yeah I never gauged till I did the roll briom hat either..

But let me tell ya I did on that one.. it usually says a 4x4 square.. but that one said: 4.5 stiches an inch.. so I cheated.. I just did 3 rows (straight) on my circs and found I was doing 6/inc.. so I upped the needle and went to 4.5 a inch.. ripped 'em out and cast on

I probably did about 4 inch wide (20-25 sts) and 3 rows.. just to test.. couse that's cheating.. but it worked for me

ekgheiy 05-26-2005 12:45 PM

Check you Knitty's Swatch Out! article if you want to read more ;)

metalsgirl 05-26-2005 12:53 PM

that article is certainly overwhelming - i've swatched, but i definitely haven't swatched like that!!

ekgheiy 05-26-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalsgirl
that article is certainly overwhelming - i've swatched, but i definitely haven't swatched like that!!

Neither have I. :lol:

feministmama 05-26-2005 01:42 PM

Oh I don't do all that fancy gauging stuff. I just knit up a good 4x4ish sqaure of what I'm using and measure in a few palces to get an average stich per inch. If it's not looking good then change needles. Then I rip out and start the pattern. Washing the gauge square and alla that is such a waste. (Or a privilege to be able to use up that much yarn) so I just skip it. After a while of knitting I've gotten to the point where I can sorta tell after only a few inches how my gauge is looking and if I need to go up or down a size. But I use the same yarn so much of the time, I kinda just know my gauge but I swatch anyway. Good luck

Rennagayle 05-26-2005 03:41 PM

Okay, I think I'm ready to knit a gauge swatch. :thumbsup:

Thanks, everyone! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin 05-26-2005 04:15 PM

There's a really nifty tool called the gauge-o-knit that I love to use. Just knit a square (the tool specifies how big but I don't remember), measure it with the gauge-o-knit, and it will tell you how many stitches per inch you have. It's great.