KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New knitter: starting at the very beginning (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30149)

nutterknitter 05-31-2005 07:21 PM

New knitter: starting at the very beginning

Here is an example of a really new knitter's issues: I am using a skein of yarn: do I pull the yarn from the inside? or do i let it bounce around and pull from the outside? It is Lion Brand Wool Ease worsted weight 3 oz and the label says nothing about how to unwind! :thinking:
Thanks--this is just the beginning of my dumb questions!
Nutterknitter

Julie 05-31-2005 07:36 PM

I've always pulled from the inside, to avoid the bouncing around. ;) That said, sometimes it's really hard to find the inside end to pull from! I either pull out a huge hunk from the inside and untangle it if necessary, or if it's a yarn I've had tangling issues with in the past, I start from the outside and wind my own center-pull ball. (video here) :D

ekgheiy 05-31-2005 08:45 PM

I second the Pull ball. :thumbsup:

KellyK 05-31-2005 09:58 PM

I just roll mine into a regular ball. Ive personally had too many tangles to want to deal with pulling yarn from inside ANYTHING.

I think you may just have to experiment and see what YOU like! LOTS of knitting issues are that way...its all about YOU! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin 05-31-2005 11:50 PM

FYI, since we hope you'll be spending a lot oftime at KH, eventually you'll realize that KK thinks everything is about HER.

I try to roll my yarn loosely into a pull square-ish ball, that way I can loop the ball around my wrist as a holder so I don't have lots of strings hanging. One reason a center pull ball is preferred over the outside pull ones is that the yarn can get tangled together; if you can't get your yarn into a center pull ball, or you can't FIND the center,you can slip the yarn into one of those mesh plastic vegetable bags; that will at least keep it from unwinding all over the place and getting tangled. Or stick the yarn into an empty oatmeal container and pull it through a hole in the lid. OR you can let KK's dog howie hold your yarn, he LIKES to play with yarn... and he's *very* helpful. :-)

KellyK 06-01-2005 07:13 AM

PHTPPTHTPTHTPHTPTHPTTTHTHTTPTPTHTHHH! :P

nutterknitter 06-01-2005 07:18 AM

Thank you all!

You knitters are not only helpful but funny! Thanks for the advice! I loved the video. Who knew there was such info out there in knit cyberspace!
:cheering:

KellyK 06-01-2005 07:41 AM

Well, Hilde THINKS she's funny, anyway..... :rollseyes:

WELCOME, Nutter! Im glad you found us! This place is just a WEALTH of information, wisdom, friendship and obnoxious humor! :cheering:

Ingrid 06-01-2005 04:47 PM

When I buy yarn in a ball, I always look for the end that's tucked into the yarn. That is always the outside end. I flip the ball over and reach in the other end as far as I can and pinch. A lot of the time I'm lucky and end up near the beginning, sometimes I end up with a lump, but once it gets knitted up, the yarn comes from the middle.

benniesma 06-01-2005 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
FYI, since we hope you'll be spending a lot oftime at KH, eventually you'll realize that KK thinks everything is about HER.

Cause we all know it's really about Hilde! ;)

Welcome to KH! And no question is stupid...it's just one that someone else was afraid to ask!