KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help with lace-style pattern, please (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30331)

peev 06-18-2005 01:39 PM

Help with lace-style pattern, please

I've just started knitting a wrap/scarf in some gorgeous kidsilk-style wool that I picked up at wool fair recently, but I'm doing something wrong. There are some vertical 'loops' at the back of the work near some of the holes (but not all). Pattern is as follows:
Row 1) Knit
Row 2) Purl
Row 3) K2 *K2tog, yon, K2* repeat from * to last st, K1
Row 4) Purl
Row 5) Knit
Row 6) Purl
Row 7) K4, *K2 tog, yon, K2* repeat from * to last 3 stitches, K3
Row 8) Purl

then repeat pattern to desired length of wrap. I'm wondering if I'm doing yon wrong, but apparently I should be doing it in the same way as I would for a knit stitch. What baffles me most is that the vertical stitch doesn't appear near all the holes, only on some. And it's always on the left of the holes.

I'd be grateful for any help with this - thanks. :)

Ingrid 06-18-2005 03:16 PM

I'm assuming yon is yarn over? I haven't seen the 'n' before. The vertical stitch is probably the yarn over. Are you ending up with the correct number of stitches at the end of the row? If you are, then you are doing the correct number of yo's and k2tog.

As long as you're putting the yarn in front of your work for the yo, then you're doing it correctly. So if you're getting the right number of st at the end of each row and the pattern is looking like its supposed to, I wouldn't worry about vertical st. Sometimes we just have to blindly follow the directions and see what develops.

Just my opinion, though. :thinking:

peev 06-18-2005 04:12 PM

Yeah, the yon is yarn over. I've never seen it written like that before either, but the pattern is from a magazine, and they show you how to do it. :D I've only done the pattern once through (I did it twice before, saw the vertical stitch 'loops' at the back of the knitting and frogged it :oops: ) so maybe i'll give it another few 'cycles' before I give it up as 'A Bad Thing'. It wouldn't bother me if the pattern was for a jumper where the inside isn't so visible, but with a wrap/scarf, it might show, and it looks ugly.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Ingrid 06-18-2005 04:16 PM

Maybe then the loops are part of the pattern, and for you its just too ugly. If you're doing everything correctly and you don't like it, why waste any more time and yarn on it. There are a lot of patterns out there. Try www.knitty.com. They have lots of free patterns for wraps, shawls, shrugs, etc.

peev 06-18-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Maybe then the loops are part of the pattern, and for you its just too ugly. If you're doing everything correctly and you don't like it, why waste any more time and yarn on it. There are a lot of patterns out there. Try www.knitty.com. They have lots of free patterns for wraps, shawls, shrugs, etc.

Maybe, but the loops are only on some of the holes - there's no 'pattern' to it. And surely if the stitches are formed the same way, they'd all look the same? I think I'll give the pattern cycle another 2 goes, and if I'm still not happy, I'll look for something else. I chose this pattern because it was nice and easy - I'm still a relative knitting newbie. Thanks for the advice. :)

peev 06-19-2005 04:36 PM

The loops are still there - I think it's something to do with the k2tog bit, but I don't know what. Shame, cos on the right side it looks really nice...

Ingrid 06-19-2005 05:42 PM

I'm sorry it isn't working out. Have you shown it to someone and see if they think it looks like the loops don't belong? Maybe it'll look fine. Well there are TONS of lacy patterns out there, not all of them super difficult. Good luck!

peev 06-20-2005 01:55 AM

I don't know anyone else who knits here in Holland, so I'm going to take it back to the UK with me next week and see if my knitty friend can help. She's the one who got me back into knitting again, so she should help me. :D