KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitting needle case/holder (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30359)

kitkat 06-20-2005 12:09 PM

Knitting needle case/holder

I did a search but didnt come up with anything...have any of you made a knitting needle holder thingy? I have the SNB one, but she is suggesting upholstery fabric...and since I have an entire closet full of quilting fabric, I cant stand the thought of buying MORE fabric!!!!! And I dont want to BUY a pattern cuz I am cheap!

bubba 06-20-2005 12:19 PM

I did...for the circulars I have. However, I was making it up as I went, and upon completion, found a problem with it. I am, when I have more than a day off work, going to take it apart and change it. I also got more fabric to make one for the lady who taught me to knit. She and several others want me to make them to sell, but I can't figure out how worth it it would be.

Just sit and think about what you want, then do it!

pat.

As an afterthought....I was looking at patterns last week to make a bag for knitting, and Simplicity has a real nice one that includes things for your knitting needles too. I still think I will make that bag, but not the holders they have included on the pattern, which is #4542. You can go to simplicity.com to view it.

kitkat 06-20-2005 12:26 PM

I am thinking I can use batting to give it some more stability.....now the big decision is....do I use some of these cool batiks I have, or do I go with the flamingos? I have LOTS of flamingo fabrics....there is a flamingo quilt in my future......I think you are right, just draft out what I want and go from there!!

gimmesanity 06-20-2005 07:56 PM

can you just triple the quilting fabric to make it more resilient? Batting would work, too. I made the SnB one. I went to JoAnn and bought some stuff off the sales table. I think I paid like $4 for all the fabric.

Oh, and when I made the SnB one, I found that I only needed like half the fabric that the pattern called for.

~Sharon

foldedbird 06-21-2005 09:22 AM

gimmesanity, that is one cute babe!

kitkat, why not quilt the needle case? hehe.

Speakin of sewing, any machines under $100 you can reccomend that will let me do something like a needle case?

Sara 06-21-2005 09:30 AM

Try Sears to see what they have for sewing machines. You can also get a Singer for about $100 at Target and maybe WalMart. DD bought herself a White brand machine ($140 on sale) w/her birthday money last year, and I have a hard time leaving it alone, it is SO nice. (DD is 16 today, OMG)

brendajos 06-21-2005 09:32 AM

ya know...there was one on HSN as their Today's Special this week (yeah i am a shop at home junkie...*sigh*) that i was considering pretty strongly. it was 20 bucks and i think (because i never got to see them actually use it) that it would work fairly well for that kind of thing. My thinking is that most likely i would never use it for anything more complicated than putting a lining in a purse or something like that and it was fairly small...i didn't get it because the regular price is just $25 and i can kind of watch to see if there are any bad reviews on it ....of course at $25 i can probably eat it too if it doesn't work that great. I don't know...i just figure that it couldn't be too horrible or they wouldn't have presented it as the TS and i wouldn't make it work that hard...

yeah i think i will have to buy it now that i have pretty much talked myself into it...lol

Sara 06-21-2005 09:35 AM

$25 and it will sew a straight line. That's really all you need. Is it still available, Bren?

Ingrid 06-21-2005 09:36 AM

I bought one of those small $20 variety sewing machines. It was terrible. Maybe if I needed to fix a seam, but by the time I got it set up and got the tension right, I could have sewn it by hand. I wouldn't recommend them.

kitkat 06-21-2005 09:42 AM

Sewing machines I know! There is a fabulous one at Sears, that many of us quilter types bought to take to classes and the like...we called it "baby blue" and many people bought it on ebay, but alot of people bought it at Sears. I bought one on ebay for myself, and one at Sears for Mom. You can find maybe for 50 on ebay, and its 79 at sears......It is a full featured machine, and while it probably won't do to sew upholstery, it is perfect, and I love it! I bought a cheapie cooler to put it in too....

here is the link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ewing+Machines