KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Circular or Straight Needles? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30785)

Jackie M. 07-17-2005 05:48 PM

Circular or Straight Needles?

How many prefer circular needles to straight needles? Are circular best for knitting a hat and is it too hard for a beginner? I just bought circular needles but I'm afraid to try them right now. Should I try knitting a hat with straight needles first?

brendajos 07-17-2005 05:51 PM

well i haven't tried knitting a hat but knitting on circs in the round has been very easy for me. i started using circs as straight needles from the first stitch...i think they are great...no having to find a needle that fell on the floor!

watch amy's video for knitting in the round. it really is very easy....ya just keeeep goin...

BinkyKat 07-17-2005 06:00 PM

I like circs for larger items... so far I have only used them for flat projects, not in the round yet. But I like straights in shorter lengths for quick scarves, etc. :thumbsup:

Nuno930 07-17-2005 06:13 PM

I knit in the round when I can because I am lazy. I don't want to seam stuff up. I like them for knitting flat too because there is much less motion involved.

KellyK 07-17-2005 06:38 PM

I use my interchangeables for pretty much EVERYTHING...even flat stuff. Having one longer needle is alot less cumbersome than 2 straights.

Nuno930 07-17-2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK
I use my interchangeables for pretty much EVERYTHING...even flat stuff. Having one longer needle is alot less cumbersome than 2 straights.

Oooh plus you don't lose the needle. I am really bad at losing the one with no stitches on it :oops:

Mer 07-17-2005 07:20 PM

A basic hat isn't too hard for a beginner, I think! Try a simple roll brim hat-it's a great project for your first circular experience. ;)

rebecca 07-17-2005 07:55 PM

How long are the circs that you bought? You are golden if you bought 16" circs; but if you got 24" or anything that will be larger than the circumference of whatever u r knitting (head) then they won't work. I say go for it if you got the right size; it's really very easy & nothing to be afraid of & there's always somebody around here that can answer a question if u get stumped.

cmk 07-17-2005 08:57 PM

I use the magic loop method with circular needles for knitting hats. I just checked and there's a video on this site - click on "Advanced Techniques".

Good luck.

Carolyn

Jackie M. 07-18-2005 09:18 AM

Well poo.....I did get the 24" circular. I didn't even know they came in sizes like that. Tells you how new I am at this. I only bought the size of needles the same way I would buy straight needles. Oh well, on the next trip to the store, I'll pick up the right ones. In the mean time I will practice with these.