KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How much does your LYS charge for... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30802)

Marissa64 07-18-2005 02:12 PM

How much does your LYS charge for...

a knitting class or lessons?

THE LYS around here all seem to charge $75 on up for knitting classes. That just seems a little steep for me. Is this about average?

brendajos 07-18-2005 02:18 PM

is that for one class or two? Mine charged $60 for two classes. Michaels has per session classes for like $15...i am not clear on exactly how those run but i gathered that they were for people needing help with patterns and such. Not sure if they are for brand new knitters.

rebecca 07-18-2005 02:27 PM

Gosh, Nicky Epstein is going to be at one of our LYS and that class is only $60! This LYS is general around $40 for regular classes. Now, we have some other LYS that are faaaaarrrrrrr too expensive. But, the LYS that I use is very reasonable on class rates; not as inexpensive as our Michael's; but it's generally more indept classes like socks or entrelac, etc. I'm still bummed :( that I missed the entrelac class.

Nuno930 07-18-2005 02:36 PM

Well, I don't have a LYS BUT the community center has them for $10. :thumbsup:

Silver 07-18-2005 02:50 PM

I've never been to one, but if I remember correctly, one of my LYS's charges $20, and you bring your own supplies (or buy them there).

Sara 07-18-2005 03:03 PM

JoAnn's generally charges $20-$30 for classes (at least two sessions per class) and then you buy your project supplies. Is the project included in the class fee? You should ask to see the supply list and then calculate what your true cost would be.

$75 would be pretty expensive if that's just the fee to take the class. You would think that they'd want to keep their price low so that they could turn more people into knitting addicts. :lol:

Jackie M. 07-18-2005 03:14 PM

$35 for lesson with the yarn and needles thrown in.

brendajos 07-18-2005 03:17 PM

yeah i would hope that the supplies would be thrown in. i think by the time i was done with my first class, i was paying....i don't know i think it was about $80. Of course i chose the most expensive yarn in the joint! and she gave me clover circs as my first needles...i am not sad about it though...money well spent by my estimation! ;)

speaking circs....i started going through all the sets i was finding around my house this weekend....SHEEEESH i have a lot of pairs of the exact same needles....same length and everything...lol. i reeeeeeeeeally need to keep track of what i have and if they have a project on them or not!

dustinac 07-18-2005 03:45 PM

Mine charges 35.00 and that includes your yarn its a 6hr class over 2 Wednesdays the next class is just 30.00 not sure why its Advanced and you get your yarn then too....

bekahdrmom 07-18-2005 03:49 PM

My LYS charges for about half of their classes (the other half of them are free as long as you buy your supplies there). They run $25 and include your supplies.