KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Easy question: regarding counting stitches (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30810)

D 07-19-2005 03:02 AM

Easy question: regarding counting stitches

This is a newbie question but, I've read conflicting answers on different sites. When counting stitches do you include the one that is your slip knot?

I'm a very new self-taught knitter.. I'd be utterly stuck if I didn't find this site. It's very helpful:)

kemp 07-19-2005 04:46 AM

I say yes...but I'd wait to see what someone else says just to be sure. I always count it but that doesn't mean its right!

brendajos 07-19-2005 07:40 AM

yup yup that is your very first stitch.

KellyK 07-19-2005 08:37 AM

Dont feel bad....I just recently started counting the row ON my needle! :doh:

suziehomemaker 07-19-2005 08:38 AM

I agree, that slip knot counts as a stitch because on the next row you knit/purl it.

D 07-19-2005 10:20 PM

Thanks everyone for their help:) Guess I'll go along and count it.

Perhaps I should make this in a new post, but I'll ask here first..
How do you know how much yarn you need for the cast on? I assume it depends on your size needles, and the gauge, just wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to calculate the length needed.
Also, do you skip knitting the first stitch on EVERY row, or is it just the first row?

Thank you again:))

Ingrid 07-19-2005 10:24 PM

Here's Ingrid's handy-dandy-never-run-too-short-or-too-long casting on tip:

Use two balls for long-tail cast on. One as the 'ball' and one as the 'tail'. When you've cast on all your stitches, cut one off. If you're only using one ball, use both ends. Ta-da!

You don't HAVE to slip the first stich. I only do it if I'm not seaming, as in a scarf. If you choose to, slip the first st in every row.

D 07-19-2005 10:43 PM

You know what, that's brilliant Ingrid! Thanks!

Hildegard_von_Knittin 07-20-2005 12:01 AM

my method doesn't have the stelllar results that Ingrid's does, BUT I haven't had too many problems with it lately.
I estimate 1 stitch per inch of yarn. (i know, this won't work with all yarns, but it's a good gues s for worsted). So if the pattern calls for 30 CO stitches, I "guesstimate" 30 inches of yarn, by pulling out a strand from my nose to my fingertips. then i pull out a few more inches to be safe. Since that length is, on me, almost exactly 30 inches, I round up everything to a multiple of 30... so for 100 stitches, I would pull enough yarn for 120. Again, it's not exact, but since I started doing this a few months ago (after I had to caso on 300 stitches and started over 4 times) I haven't had to redo but a few times, and that's b/c my tail was only 2 inches long, and I wanted more to weave in.

:-)

KellyK 07-20-2005 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
I "guesstimate" 30 inches of yarn, by pulling out a strand from my nose to my fingertips.

Remind me never to borrow yarn from Hildie. EWWWWW! :help:

BUT...remember folks, the Amazing Hildie Yarn Dispenser can be yours today for the LOW LOW price of only 3 payments of 19.95! That's RIGHT! And, if you call within the next 10 minutes, we'll throw in a felted bag for FREEEEEE! Void where prohibited. If you experience swelling or redness, see your doctor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
my tail was only 2 inches long

That proves it....Hildie is an alien. :mrgreen: