KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   a question for male knitters (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30821)

Miss_Knit 07-19-2005 04:55 PM

a question for male knitters

do u knit in public? do u carry your stuff in knitting bag, even if it looks girly? what made you start knitting? ive been trying to explain to my friends that knitting isnt just for girls, like how football isnt just for guys. i have gotten some skeptical looks from that

Icyshard 07-19-2005 05:01 PM

Perhaps you can tell your friends that knitting was originally a male-only occupation, waaaay back in the 1500s or so. How things have changed since then, huh!

KellyK 07-19-2005 05:17 PM

Show them all the pics of Russell Crowe knitting. They are linked to on a thread here somewhere.....do a search on Russell Crowe (search button above) and you'll find it!

dustinac 07-19-2005 07:15 PM

I found a website using google and searched History of Men Knitting that brought up several. You could show these to your friends I have it pulled up for my dh LOL ... Are we allowed to post links to other subjects?? :thinking: if so I'd just post it for ya there is another website that has more info but I keep getting its shut down for a few days try again...

wooaaa bad english thar... edited..

Rorshach 07-19-2005 08:31 PM

To answer your questions, Yeah, I knit in public. I even carry my stuff in my own knitting bag, though to tell you the truth it doesn't look like a knitting tote. but yeah, I'll bring all along. and get questioned by just about everybody :D As far as what got me started. Well it was primarily due to the fact that nobody else in my family knitted since my grandmother, and I felt like I needed a new afghan. (don't worry all, it's coming, 14 squares left).

Joel 07-20-2005 02:40 PM

Re: a question for male knitters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss_Knit
do u knit in public? do u carry your stuff in knitting bag, even if it looks girly? what made you start knitting? ive been trying to explain to my friends that knitting isnt just for girls, like how football isnt just for guys. i have gotten some skeptical looks from that

Here's my answers as well...

1. Yes, I knit in public.
2. I carry my stuff in a backpack.
3. I wasn't getting crochet down. I was trying to do an activity I could share with my wife (she crochets). Plus it's a constructive thing and allows me to make gifts (once i get good enough to do so).

As for your friends, if they are guys... tell them to get some cahunas and get over it. They can try it and if they dont like it, fine. But they won't know until they try it.

JGM 07-20-2005 09:07 PM

Quote:

1. All the KIP I've done is in the lunch room at work so far. But I just started KIP. I plan to do more KIP. I like saying KIP. :)
2. As of now, I keep my knitting in the horrid grocery bag. I plan on making a satchel eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
3. I started crocheting in college and when I got good at that I wanted to try knitting.
4. KIP!

Miss_Knit 07-20-2005 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM
Quote:

1. All the KIP I've done is in the lunch room at work so far. But I just started KIP. I plan to do more KIP. I like saying KIP. :)
2. As of now, I keep my knitting in the horrid grocery bag. I plan on making a satchel eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
3. I started crocheting in college and when I got good at that I wanted to try knitting.
4. KIP!

omg! i wanted to make that satchel too, but i saw this awesome pattern with skulls so im gonna make that asap!

Norman 07-20-2005 11:17 PM

I do KIP.. I have a knitting group I go to on Saturdays and sometimes Wednesdays..

I also knit at the theater.. :)

I started knitting cause my dad did.. and I loved the stuff he did.. :)

My bag is a duffle bag.. but even if it did look girly.. I think I'd still use it.. I'm secure enough.. been picked on all my life about other things.. I can handle this :)

KellyK 07-21-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM
I plan on making a satchel eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.

OMG, J!!! You havent discovered WOTA from Knitpicks!! CHEAP and felts BEAUTIFULLY!!! You can make the large bag for not quite 30 bucks! :thumbsup: