KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First Project... huh? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30910)

kome 07-25-2005 09:38 AM

First Project... huh?

Guage: 20 stitches and 26 rows = 4"x4"

So I started with that and now I have a long rectangle. I don't get it. How do I have more stitches on the needle now? I think they're are like 60. Obviously I'm new to this so someone please help me! :??

VickiIL 07-25-2005 09:42 AM

Re: First Project... huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kome
Guage: 20 stitches and 26 rows = 4"x4"

So I started with that and now I have a long rectangle. I don't get it. How do I have more stitches on the needle now? I think they're are like 60. Obviously I'm new to this so someone please help me! :??

I'll try to help but I am not sure if I understand your question. What you knitted is a guage swatch. That is just to check that your yarn weight, needle size and tension you knit with will produce the same results that the designer got when she designed the piece. This keeps your end result from being either to big or too small. After you knit the swatch you either bind off and keep it or frog it and start on your project by casting on what the designer tells you to.

Ingrid 07-25-2005 09:44 AM

Apparently you've been adding stitches somehow, which is not uncommon for new knitters. The length won't necessarily be the same as the gauge calls for. That's not as important as the stitch gauge.

I would start again, just for practice, and count your stitches after each row. I wouldn't worry about gauge just now. Cast on some stitches and knit, knit, knit until you really have a feel for it and you can recognize what a stitch should look like.

If you're switching between knit and purl, often the yarn is in the wrong place when you do your stitch and that creates an extra one. It should be in the back for knit and in the front for purl.

Hang in there!

kome 07-25-2005 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Apparently you've been adding stitches somehow, which is not uncommon for new knitters. The length won't necessarily be the same as the gauge calls for. That's not as important as the stitch gauge.

I would start again, just for practice, and count your stitches after each row. I wouldn't worry about gauge just now. Cast on some stitches and knit, knit, knit until you really have a feel for it and you can recognize what a stitch should look like.

If you're switching between knit and purl, often the yarn is in the wrong place when you do your stitch and that creates an extra one. It should be in the back for knit and in the front for purl.

Hang in there!

I wasn't even trying to purl because I didn't want to mess it up! So now I'm even more confused! Haha. Good thing I have 2 days off of work this week. Lol.

brendajos 07-25-2005 01:27 PM

okay basically what happens a lot of times when we first start learning to knit is that when we turn the needles the yarn is in front (if you are doing knit stitches). When you move it to the back you have to be sure to pull it under and behind the needles. If you pull it OVER and behind it will make it look like there is another stitch there to knit thus increasing your stitches. i would suggest going ahead and casting on about 20 stitches or so and just knitting away. Count the stitches every few rows to see that you still have the number you started with. I would stitch it until it is about 5 feet long or so and you will have knitted yourself your first scarf AND got a whole bunch of practice just in knit stitches. You will see how your tension changes from the beginning to the end too.

Rennagayle 07-25-2005 03:33 PM

I had this problem when I first began, too. A good habit to get into, at least until you're past the point of knowing what's causing that and how to avoid it, is when you turn your work to begin the next row, be sure that your yarn (on the left needle about to be knitted) is hanging down. Holding the left needle horizontally, gently tug the knitted yarn straight downwards. It will help you to see your stitch better and to avoid slipping the needle in your right hand into the wrong place on the left needle.

Frequently, when I was first knitting, I picked up extra stitches especially when I made that first stitch on each row. I found that by having the yarn hang straight down, I avoided that. I no longer have to do it, now that I know where I was picking up the extra stitch.

Trust me, you will get past this stage. I didn't think I EVER would, but I did. I have a foot long practice swatch which I just kept practicing on. It looks TERRIBLE, but it does look alot better on the end than it did in the beginning. :thumbsup:

Oh, and it also helps to be practicing with a smooth yarn (not a fuzzy novelty type yarn), as it enables you to more clearly see where you're inserting your needle.

kome 07-26-2005 06:47 PM

Thank you so much for the help! I'm going to go practice for forever now! Hehe. :thumbsup:

Vixen 07-27-2005 10:45 PM

I am a new knitter and I had the same problem. I didn't know what was happening. I had at least 15 more stitches than I wanted. After posting here, I got the good advice to just keep knitting and not to stress about it to much. I was not pullimg the yarn down, and was adding a stitch each time I turned the needles. I bought some large needles and some thick yarn and just knit and knit until I got the hang of it I am getting better at it but still have a problem every now and then so I count my stitiches often.

Good luck and hang in there!

Rennagayle 07-27-2005 11:39 PM

I know that everyone recommends learning on about size 10 needles, but I found that a nice fat needle, like Vixen mentioned, helped me to better see what my stitches were doing.

kome 07-28-2005 12:24 AM

I got it and I made myself a hat! Thanks for all of the help!

P.S. My hands really hurt from knitting all day. :D