KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   need hat help/ideas please (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30911)

kemp 07-25-2005 10:09 AM

need hat help/ideas please

2 Attachment(s)
So yesterday I am looking all over the place for a good bucket hat pattern. Hilde did find a good one (and free), but it wasn't quite what I wanted. So, I thought, "no problem, I'll just design one myself". Never having made a hat, I guess, should have worried me a little. Nope, I plunged right in.

Below is my version of the bucket hat :roflhard: :roflhard:

Not quite what it should be, eh? The part below the mango color should be a wide brim that would either stick out 90 degrees from the hat part or at least 45.

I HATE to frog. I would really rather try to salvage this if possible. BTW, doesn't it remind you a bit of Dumb Donald from the Fat Albert cartoon? My thoughts so far:

1. Isn't there something like spray starch except that you could dunk the whole piece in it? Maybe that would make it stiff enough to fashion a brim that would stay in place.

2. Wire? Thin? Threaded around the edge and under the stripe where the brim should begin??

3. Ditch the hat effort and call it a bowl cozy.

KellyK 07-25-2005 10:57 AM

Felt it?

And, I have to add, Kempy, you are just GORGEOUS! U dont think we've SEEN your face before!

kemp 07-25-2005 11:48 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: Well, I know you've seen some of my other "stuff".

:blush: You are so sweet to say that. I'm suprised you haven't seen a pic before though...there are some in the gallery on my blog (ok, I know you really only read KH blogs on the blog forum, but this is ME you know...you could venture out once in a while! :roflhard: )

Wish I could felt it...it's cotton. I did consider shrinking it though :)

Silver 07-25-2005 11:55 AM

How about a fabric stiffener. You know.. the stuff people soak knitted and crocheted ornaments in to make them stiff? :??

kemp 07-25-2005 12:08 PM

oh yeah, that must be the stuff I was thinking of...like starch but "dipable". I think it's worth a shot. Think I could find that at Target or would I need to go to a craft store?

Silver 07-25-2005 12:11 PM

I don't know... I've never used it actually.

maniago 07-25-2005 02:17 PM

You can find the fabric stiffener at Wal-mart, they also have a liquid starch. The fabric stiffener will make it kinda hard

kemp 07-25-2005 05:38 PM

I may have found a solution. You can read more about it HERE.

In a nutshell, I am trying the fabric stiffener.:shock: I'll let you know how it goes.

Silver 07-25-2005 05:58 PM

From the pics it looks great! Here's hoping it dries well. :)

kemp 07-25-2005 06:02 PM

Me too! If it works I'll be in shock. If not though, I have no problem washing it and trying again. It actually looks pretty cute as a little drawstring bag if I turn it upside down.