KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help with pattern instructions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31003)

JGM 07-28-2005 10:44 PM

Help with pattern instructions

I'm making Shedir using DPNs instead of circs. The directions say to use a stitch marker, but I'm not since I keep the beginning of the row in between two of the needles. The directions say:

Work rounds 1-52. On next round (53), work to last st, sl next st to right needle, remove marker, sl st back to left needle, replace marker. This now represents the beginning of the next round.

Maybe I don't understand how stitch markers work, or where they're supposed to go...:wall:

HELP!

KellyK 07-28-2005 11:01 PM

They are just asking you to move the beginning of the round one st to the right...

Stitch markers go ON your needle like a stitch, and get slipped each time you come to them

JGM 07-29-2005 07:45 PM

Does the stitch marker go between the first stitch of the row and the last stitch normally? I think that's part of my problem.....

Ingrid 07-29-2005 07:54 PM

If you were knitting in the round, you'd put a marker between the last and first stitch. I imagine that if you have your's on dpns there's no place to put that marker.

Silver 07-29-2005 07:56 PM

On DPNs, you don't need a stitch marker. The yarn tail shows you at which corner the round begins. ;)

JGM 07-29-2005 08:45 PM

Re: Help with pattern instructions

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM
Work rounds 1-52. On next round (53), work to last st, sl next st to right needle, remove marker, sl st back to left needle, replace marker. This now represents the beginning of the next round.

Ok, I think I may have figured this out.... Does it mean to not work the last stitch of round 53? That would make sense, because then you would have this.... [first stich of 53] [marker] [last stitch of 52] ...on the left needle...then you would slip [last stitch of 52] to the right needle, remove the [marker], slip [last stitch of 52] to the left needle and then replace the [marker], thus moving the marker one stitch to the right like KellyK said. YES?? :thinking:

Ingrid 07-29-2005 08:53 PM

YES! Like Kelly said, uh, 23 hours ago? :shifty: :D

JGM 08-09-2005 08:44 PM

Ok, new question on same pattern....

Instructions for a 'cable 3 right' say:
slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold to back; knit next st from left needle; purl the purl st from cable needle then knit last st from cable needle

Here's my situation: The next three stitches from right to left (on the left needle) are knit, purl, knit. So, that makes the two stitches to hold to the cable needle (R-L) a knit, purl. So far, so good. I then knit the remaining stitch from the left needle and move to work the cabled stitches. Here's where I'm stumped. The instructions say to purl into the purl stitch and then knit the knit stitch from the cable needle. But the purl stitch is on the left! :?? Am I not slipping the stitches properly or is there some fangled way to knit left to right that I don't know? I'm 99% sure I have the stitches from the previous row correct, although this is the start of the first row after working what I had a question about above.... HELP!

If pictures would help, please ask and I will get them up.

Ingrid 08-09-2005 09:43 PM

I get what your saying, and understand your confusion. I think a picture may be in order. :thinking:

JGM 08-10-2005 01:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. Hopefully they're clear enough to help you understand what I'm talking about. The caption in the first picture refers to the problem stated in the original post in this thread.