KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ohhhhh experts!!!!!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31082)

HeatherFeather 08-02-2005 12:06 PM

ohhhhh experts!!!!!!!

I got someone's stash...YEAHHHHH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however, it has been in the basement, and not very fresh smelling at present time.

I can use well over half of the 2 big black g'bags I received for fun projects. :)

Right now, they are "airing out" on a sheet in the bright sunlight. I am not too worried about them fading at this point, as they won't be out FOREVER, but...is there a better method?

it is all acrylic yarn.

I came 2 hours ago to ask this question...and I have had fun looking at ya'lls projects...:)

Ingrid 08-02-2005 12:09 PM

That would be my first move, too. Good old sunshine. If that doesn't work, maybe Febreeze could add a final touch.

HeatherFeather 08-02-2005 12:20 PM

would all problems be solved after a good ole fashioned wash?

I was also thinking of layering bounce sheets in a tight container. I would like the smell gone....not covered up.

GREAT idea on the febreeze!!! as I am sure that would do the trick wonderfully as well!! :)

rebecca 08-02-2005 12:20 PM

Febreeze is a wonder of an invention...works on just about everything :thumbsup:

Ingrid 08-02-2005 01:04 PM

I supposed if you can stand to knit with it, the smell would come out when you wash the FO. I don't know how you'd wash yarn without ending with a massive knot!

HeatherFeather 08-02-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

I supposed if you can stand to knit with it, the smell would come out when you wash the FO
heeheee...ya...this is what I meant...altho....the latter DID cross my mind :)

Silver 08-02-2005 01:16 PM

If you want to wash the yarn, wind it into skeins first. If you don't have a niddy noddy, the easiest way is to wrap it around your elbow and the V between your thumb and forefinger, or around the back of a chair. Take some scrap yarn and tie it around the yarn in four spots around the loop. That will keep it from tangling.

Hand wash the skein in lukewarm water and a mild detergent by letting it soak, rinse, and repeat. Do not agitate. Then hang it to dry from a non rusting coat hanger. Use another hanger at the bottom for a bit of weight.

When dry, they'll be good as new!

It's a lot of effort, but worth it. Of course, you could always just knit with it and wash the finished object instead. ;)

kemp 08-02-2005 01:16 PM

Lucky you! How *bad* is the smell?

brendajos 08-02-2005 01:26 PM

i don't know i would be careful using Febreeze though. i have always felt that it puts a ....."film?" (not sure what word i am looking for here)...on the fabric after it has been used. just never feels clean to me i guess. the sweet smell of febreeze always makes me slightly naseous too so there is that to consider as well.

as much of a PITA as it could be, i would say that if sitting out in the sun doesn't help it then i think Silver's suggestion would be the best one. that way you get it clean without any sort of shtuff on it.

HeatherFeather 08-02-2005 01:27 PM

Silver...this is a WONDERFUL idea!!!!!!!!!!!! :) and one I will use later!!! if I get a "ball or two"...I'd say there are over 100 items here...well...maybe 50 items...lol....(no spacial thinking and I can't count)....

Kemp: not a BAD smell....just musty basement smell. But strong enough when I walked by it I could smell it (outside).

I just checked it, and it isn't horrid!!!!!!!!!!! I think when I pack it all back up again, I'll put some dryer sheets in the box, to help it along some.