KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wool of the Andes (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31371)

GlenBoRTR 08-17-2005 05:06 PM

Wool of the Andes

I read somewhere that KnitPick's "Wool of the Andes" was one of the BEST yarns to knit with... ((Basically a "must have item")). Is this true?? Should I be invensting in this yarn for Afghans & Sweaters??? Is there a yarn that is great for most projects & won't break your wallet (or purse).

KellyK 08-17-2005 05:10 PM

WOTA is a great yarn to FELT with...but, unless you want afghans and sweaters that are hand-wash only, stay away.

rebecca 08-17-2005 05:16 PM

I do afghans in WOTA...of course, I love WOTA & don't mind the handwash ;) . I've also done a few afghans with lionbrand 'woolease' which is worsted wt with a percentage of wool in it, a nice yarn & machine washable...I've also done afgans in Lionbrand's 'Homespun'...more of a bulky..again...machine wash
KnitPicks is the way to go on 99.99% of things, unless, like KK said...you want machine washable!
FYI...I AM knitpicks #1 fan...that may be obvious :thumbsup:

knitqueen 08-17-2005 05:37 PM

The best thing about WOTA (or I should say one of the best things) is that it is very reasonably priced, especially if you live in the US. Spend $30 at knitpicks and your shipping is free. I believe WOTA is $1.79/ball.

Sara 08-17-2005 05:39 PM

If you're looking for a worsted weight yarn, the price of WOTA is fabulous. In comparison, you can go to WalMart (ick) and pay about the same price for a yucky acrylic yarn (not all acrylics are yucky, but the WM brand is). All of Knitpicks prices are good. I would recommend that you go to a yarn store in your neighborhood (referred to as LYS--local yarn store) and take a look at what they have on offer. Get a feel for the different fibers, cotton vs. sheep's wool vs. alpaca and all the other fiber contents you can imagine. (KellyK calls this fiberbating.) That's the best way for you to decide what you do and don't like. After you familiarize yourself with the things that are out there, you can shop around on the internet much more confidently.

I am fond of Plymouth brand's Encore yarn. It feels really nice and is usually reasonably priced.

Nuno930 08-17-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitqueen
The best thing about WOTA (or I should say one of the best things) is that it is very reasonably priced, especially if you live in the US. Spend $30 at knitpicks and your shipping is free. I believe WOTA is $1.79/ball.

:roflhard: You edited that!

LisaD715 08-17-2005 05:49 PM

I just bought my first WOTA for Booga bags for Christmas presents. VERY reasonably priced!! It came in the mail yesterday, I love it!!! I cannot wait to begin using it!! I think I will wait until the weekend to start on my bags, I want to devote some real time ot working on them, not just an hour or so to begin with.

knitqueen 08-17-2005 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno930
Quote:

Drat, no one was supposed to see that!!!! (I had said that if you spend $30 at knitpicks, your ORDER is free :roflhard: )

Ingrid 08-17-2005 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno930
Quote:

Drat, no one was supposed to see that!!!! (I had said that if you spend $30 at knitpicks, your ORDER is free :roflhard: )

Now that's what I call a deal!!!! :lol:

KellyK 08-17-2005 08:16 PM

:pray: