KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Needle case (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31519)

Jackie M. 08-24-2005 11:02 PM

Needle case

What is everyone's favorite way of storing needles? Do you use the cloth, roll up type needle case or do you have another way you prefer? I'm collecting several needle sizes and need something to store them in. What is your advice?

Nuno930 08-24-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

What is your advice?
To get a Boye interchangable set :roflhard: no really... that is all I have.

misstialouise 08-24-2005 11:31 PM

I have material waiting for me to make up my mind on how I want to store them....

brendajos 08-24-2005 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno930
Quote:

What is your advice?
To get a Boye interchangable set :roflhard: no really... that is all I have.

lol....that was basically going to be my answer. i keep my needle sizer thing, a small pair a of scissors, a small crochet hook, a needle and of course all my needles in my case. if i am planning on starting something requiring a pair of 16s i throw that in there too. i carry them with me where ever i go! I had planned on making something but gave up when i couldn't get the design that was sort of rattling around in my head to work quite right. So i bought the circular solution off the knitpicks site for all the extra circs i have laying around. now i just have to go through and organize them.

I do think the interchangeable case is about the best thing ever for making sure you have just about everything you will need with you when you are out and about!

KellyK 08-24-2005 11:47 PM

I have the Denise set, so that has its own case, but my other needles are in a drawer in their original packages so I can easily tell what size they are.

BinkyKat 08-24-2005 11:48 PM

The only needle case I have is with a set of Clover bamboos that was my first "set" i bought when i took up knitting a year ago. They came in a fairly nice tapestry fabric case with all the needles in pockets and a flap then you roll it up and wrap a velcroed ribbon around it. I just realized a few weeks ago when taking out a needle, that it had funny darkish marks on it. not too dark, but mottled almost like a light mildew :shock: turns out the black fabric that lines the case must have bled a little on some of the needles. I emailed the company last month on how to clean them and never got a reply :(
I have some fabric i got at michaels and an idea in my head but haven't made my own roll. i see the silk ones by lantern moon and they are nice, but it seems the idea in my head just doesn't exist.
I have both the denise and boye sets, but i also have several addis and several sets of bamboo and aluminum straights. i'm an equal opportunity knitting tool freak. :cheering:
but, I am leaning toward a needle roll in some sort of nice fabric, maybe more than one depending on need and mood. I have seen some sites that sell clear acrylic tubes with red caps for carrying straights in your bag. that would be an ok idea too.
that's my inital 482 cents! :thumbsup:

Ingrid 08-25-2005 07:47 AM

I have one of the cases that has pockets inside and zips up. It serves me well. No really great things about it, no real drawbacks. I love my Circular Solution for storing circular needles, though. Makes life a lot easier.

foldedbird 08-25-2005 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the needle case that I use. I made it. It's got lots of pockets for long straight needles, and 2 wider pockets for gadgets. It was the first prototype, really. I realized immediately after finishing it that I should have made shorter pockets for shorter gadgets...they tend to get lost in the high pockets.

The whole contraption is about 17"x26".

foldedbird 08-25-2005 09:19 AM

When I walk around with it, think folks will say "LOOK! It's Denise and the Amazing Techni-Color Flowered Needle Case!" ?

Carol_OH 08-25-2005 09:22 AM

I like fondling my needles when I'm looking for sizes, so I have all my straights in a white pitcher. Since they're all shades of pink/red/purple they look so pretty too! :inlove: (also by 'fondling' the needles I'm learning the sizes by touch now! whoo hoo!)

I recently gave my niece a bunch of needles and put them all in a cool wine bottle container - they have really interesting/pretty ones these days..in fact, I just saw some square ones with a latch top at I think WalMart? the other day.

As for circs - I have a set of Boyes, and my others I just keep in one of those cheapo plastic school supply boxes (as I do my dpns, too).