KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   KH Monthly Challenge: September (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31734)

Hildegard_von_Knittin 09-03-2005 11:02 PM

KH Monthly Challenge: September

In celebration of the autumnal equinox, johnny appleseed's birthday, and back-to-school, your challenge this month is to knit the forbidden fruit... an apple!!

For inspritation:
The modern tradition of tossing rice at the happy couple evolved from an ancient practice of throwing apples at weddings likely to the relief of the newlyweds

Greek and Roman mythology referred to apples as symbols of love and beauty.

The world's larges apple peel was created by 16-year-old Kathy Wafler Madison on October 16, 1976, in Rochester, NY. It was 172 feet, 4 inches long.

saac Newton was supposedly sitting under an apple tree when he thought up the law of gravity

Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free

In Latin, "apple" and "evil" sound the same... perhaps this is how the apple became central to the Garden of Eden.

I will be knitting Eve's Bag by Mary Bruner from my bagatelle . The pattern isn't available ont he website, but I bought it at Wool and Company . I actually purchased the pattern months ago--I'm using manos in an earthy-looking colorway instead of black-- and as soon as I have time to knit, I'm starting this!!!

Remember, you don't have to change your current project to join in the challenge! The challenge is to incorporate the KAL into whatever you are currently knitting... add an apple to your clogs, knit an apple-shaped dishcloth... you can use a part of the apple for your inspiration, like the color red, or the star-shape of the seeds in the apple's cross section. Be creative!

Happy Knitting!

Ingrid 09-03-2005 11:08 PM

Great idea Hildie! Thank you for taking the time out to do this for us. I live in apple country, so there is always inspiration. Maybe I'll start potholders or washclothes for the kids' teachers!

D 09-04-2005 01:01 AM

Unique assignment/project! Hmm.. maybe i'll give something a try. That means I'll have to go back to a yarn store. :happydance:
(I'm still happy about all the stuff I just got at JoAnn's and spent less than $25)

dustinac 09-04-2005 09:19 AM

Hildie what a great purse!! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin 09-04-2005 11:13 PM

yes, and we all know how much I need another bag...

knitqueen 09-04-2005 11:43 PM

There are a few other apple patterns that I could find.....
The Apple Hat
Knitted Apple Cloth

rebecca 09-05-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
yes, and we all know how much I need another bag...

Hilde, honey, we KNOW that there's no such thing as 'too many bags' just like there's no such thing as 'too many birks' ;)

ekgheiy 09-05-2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitqueen

This is kewl! And I have some red stash yarn too!! Astashination, here I come! :happydance:

Ingrid 09-05-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitqueen
There are a few other apple patterns that I could find.....
The Apple Hat
Knitted Apple Cloth

Thanks for posting the washcloth site! I think I printed out every one. :D

gimmesanity 09-05-2005 11:48 AM

That apple hat is TOO cute! Thanks, knitqueen! Maybe I'll be joining y'all this month. I'm a monogamous knitter, so it may be a challenge trying to figure out how to squeeze that hat in... :thinking: