KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What to do with that tail?!?! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31882)

knitwitty 09-12-2005 03:16 PM

What to do with that tail?!?!

I've been knitting for a few months now, but still have trouble weaving in that tail and being certain it won't unravel. What's the best method for weaving in the tail? :??

Pixywhispers 09-12-2005 04:00 PM

Heres what I do. :)

Hi Knitwitty,

I like to weave where I am just weaving in and out of the stitches that can not be seen from the front. I do this by playing around with it and looking on the right side to see if I can see the needle as I stitch. I usually go five stitches in and out down one way, catch another row (for instance with purl) and go about 5 more stitches. Or I do it long in a seam maybe 10 stitches up then curl around another and come back down 3-5 stitches. Then I lightly stretch the fabric out where I have stitched then cut.

I think the more projects you do the more comfortable you get with this. I remember having the same concern. Ive made lots of hats and scarfs that have been very well loved and not had one unweave on me yet. Some of them have even been through three kids. And most of them I havent even seen the ends since I cut them.

It may not be "professiona" but so far it has worked.

Candace

knitwitty 09-12-2005 04:09 PM

Thanks, Pixy! I haven't even thought of turning around and going back down! I've been tying a knot after weaving through a few purl sts, weaving a few more and tying another knot. WHEW!

Ingrid 09-12-2005 05:11 PM

Another thing you can do if the yarn is not too heavy is to knit the first few stitches with the tail and the yarn at the same time. Just remember that on the next row it's one stitch, not two, even though there are two strands.

If the tail is long, I have also alternated knitting with the yarn and the tail for a few inches.

Sara 09-12-2005 07:38 PM

There's an article in Knitty called "Techniques with Theresa" that gives a great description of weaving in the tails when you are finished working. My tails no longer show on the outside of my fo's. I am at school right now, avoiding doing my homework :rollseyes: , so if I'll have to find the link and post it later, but there is a fabulous reference available. I'll get to it as soon as I can, I promise. (unless somebody else gets to it before me :lol: )

knitwitty 09-12-2005 09:09 PM

Ingrid & Sara, Thanks, too! I love all this great advice! I will try them all! Would love to see the link, Sara. :lol:

Ingrid 09-12-2005 09:14 PM

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

I'm pretty sure that's the one she meant!

Sara 09-13-2005 02:42 PM

Thanks, Ingrid! That's the one!

knitwitty 09-14-2005 01:35 PM

:cheering: Just wanted to let y'all know I went on that website and the photos and directions were GREAT! I weaved in my tail following the purl stitches in the back and you can't even see it! Thanks again, for all your help!!! :XX:

lakepearl 09-16-2005 11:29 AM

hiding the tail

There's also a great technique for enclosing the tail (great when changing colors, or adding a new skein) described in the book, "Domino Knitting". I don't think I can explain it well :( , but I'll try. It involves holding the tail yarn in your left hand, behind the work (only works when you're working the right side) and you place the needle through the stitch and when you pick up the working yarn, do so (for the first stitch) under the tail yarn, then with the next stitch place the needle through the stitch and pick up the working yarn over the tail yarn. Then go under the tail for the 3rd stitch and so on.
If any one understands this, you must be psychic. :o Sorry, best to pick up the book in a shop and :study: read the author's instructions. I use it all the time, but if you do it on the wrong side, it will show, especially if the tail yarn is a different color.
I like this technique because it gets rid of those pesky tails immediately :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: .