KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Farmhouse Rug--The Questions Begin.... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33119)

brendajos 11-06-2005 05:45 AM

The Farmhouse Rug--The Questions Begin....

Actually i think that my questions will be relatively minimal but i thought that of the magic scarf too.

okay here's the chart... http://interweave.com/knit/books/files/Stash42_43.pdf

my initial question is really the logic in the pattern...the border is stockinette....that doesn't make sense to me...i am reading that right aren't i?

the other question would be about the checkerboard pattern. my inclination is to strand it, is there a reason not to?

KellyK 11-06-2005 08:06 AM

I think its a garter border....the dot says to purl on RS...which would mean knit on the wrong side...

Then, the first page talks about SEED st borders. :?? Would it be horrible to just pick your favorite border & use it? I dont see how the border st would affect the rest of the piece.

The pic HERE sure looks like garter to me.

HEY! Lets' answer questions as ambivalently as we can for the rest of the day!! :oops:

Ingrid 11-06-2005 10:13 AM

The seed stitch is for the other rug on a previous page.

The farm rug has a garter border. When there is a dot, Kelly's right, you knit on the back and purl on the front.

Since you're using double worsted for the rug, if you strand the checkerboard and not the rest of the rug, it's going to be noticeably thicker than the inside or the edge. That may not be a problem--personal choice. If you don't mind that, then strand it--but be super careful to stretch out your right hand stitches to you dont pucker. if you want it to be as flat as the rest then you need to change the colors. It will be a pain, though.

I was thinking that I may not do the checkerboard border at all.

brendajos 11-06-2005 10:59 AM

okay so i am frogging already...lol...thankfully i was only trying to get the first couple of rows cast on last night and didn't go crazy getting it going.

so if i don't want the checkerboard to be thicker, i have to have a whole bunch of little bobbin strands hanging down in the back? all right. my sanity was already in question so this should be a good test of it huh? ;)

Ingrid 11-06-2005 11:03 AM

I wouldn't bother with bobbins. Just leave a long strand hanging off the back and if they get tangled you can just pull out one at a time. For the sections up the sides, though, you might want to have a small ball of each color so you won't have to attach new yarn too often.

You'll have to attach a separate one for each color in the first row, but the first set will be easy since the yarn is there. And I bet that for the second row, you can probably just bring the white or black from the previous section up to the new section. It'll leave a little strand, but I think it'll be worth it. Just keep it loose.

brendajos 11-06-2005 08:18 PM

okay i am near to losin' my mind with the checkerboard. my goal is to get the checker board done before i quit for the night but right now i am near to throwin' the whole thing.....but it is close to bein' done with the first row set,.....

seriously....makin' me nuts!

Ingrid 11-06-2005 08:44 PM

Intarsia with lots of color changes has a way of doing that. Hang in there, it's only 10 rows, total--YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I can't tell what the picture is, though.

brendajos 11-06-2005 08:55 PM

that is somewhere around 22 "bobbins" of thread for each of the checkerboard squares.......and i am one row away from having the first set done...i am ready to start the picture...lol

Ingrid 11-06-2005 08:57 PM

You'll feel like you're on easy street now!! ;)

brendajos 11-07-2005 12:40 AM

okay finally done with the checkerboard....but now i am confused. by y'alls estimations, what should be that first color row? the way i count it out, it looks like it should be a purl row but if it is, then there is no need for the dots where they are in the yellow section. the look to me is a knit, purl, purl, knit pattern to me but i think i am off count somewhere....that is definitely NOT a stockinette pattern in that spot so i am cornfussed i guess. is my knit, purl, purl, knit pattern correct?